Too much too soon?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by 26x30, Nov 16, 2011.

1. 26x30

26x30 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In a very short amount of time, I have found myself in possession of eight cameras... A Nikon FM, a Nikkormat FT2, a Nikon F, Yashica TL Super, Yashica Tl Electro X, Canon F1 with Speed Viewer, Canon Ftb, and a Franka Rolfix. The TL Electro came with a pretty nice tele and a 1.7 50mm. I have a newer Sigma 28mm, an older Sigma tele and a Nikkor 28mm for the Nikons. I only have one lens for the Canons, but it is a really nice 28-70 macro that would resolve the need to carry much else. I am just at point where I need to pick a system and stick with it... I can't ditch the FM, it was gifted to me by my Father in Law. Of these bodies, which would be the best system to persue? The F1 is incredibly clean, but the mirror sticks as it has not been in use for a bit. The F has a dead meter. The Electro is perfect. Any advice? I am not pressed to get rid of any of them, I just want to have a goal when looking for new glass...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  2. ghostcount

ghostcount Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep them all. It's a growing experience and you want the tools to grow with. :wink:

3. 26x30

26x30 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I plan to keep them, if nothing else to be able to pass them on to my son. I hate hearing about all of the cool shit that my dad let go before I was of age to enjoy his surplus. I just want to pick the most fruitfull system to build upon so I can have a cohesive set of glass over the next few decades.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too much of a good thing, is by definition a good thing.

Welcome to APUG, although I have always been more partial to 24x36 than 26x36. But please stay and enjoy the website.

5. 26x30

26x30 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Close enough! The name stems from the original owner of the darkroom setup I purchased. When I asked him the largest print he had produced he replied "26x30 with techpan" I walked around for a few days mumbling "Jesus Christ, 26x30?" My next question would be about the availability of batteries... Would the F1 be hard to furnish? I have no problem using an external meter if I have to, though a functional meter would be nice.

6. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A Nikon F without a battery sounds perfect. Do yourself a favor and pick up a meter. Use the meter always and never use any camera meter.

That might seem contentious and arguable, but I don't mean it to be. It is something I wish I had done when I first picked up a camera. Of course there are many fine camera meters that can tell you the correct exposure. But I encourage you to develop confidence in understanding exposure and metering - to the point where you know better than the camera what the right settings should be.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I rarely use in camera meters, I mainly use "sunny 11" where I live, and occasionally a hand held meter. My point, use whichever camera that fits you best regardless of working meter or not.

8. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep them all, and see what happens!

Jeff

10. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Start shooting with the FM and carry the FT2 as back-up. Put the rest in a box and play with them on a rainy/snowy day.

11. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't speak for all photographers, but I'm just familiarized with one or two cameras. I've used my Canon F1(n) for over 25 years and I know it like the back of my hand. I use the controls without thinking too much about it. All I concentrate on when I shoot is the composition and exposure. I can screw up a shoot if I have to think too much about the controls on my camera. I feel that me an my camera are one.

12. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Seven cameras, seven days the week has.You lucky devil.Put them in an order, then stick with it.I want one too!!! :smile:)

13. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only you can answer that question.

If I were in your position, I would concentrate on two of the Canons (F1 and Ftb) or two of the Nikons (F and FM). It all depends on which of the four bodies I could easily get in working condition and how good the bodies work in my hands. Another factor to consider is how easy will it be for me to find the additional lenses I will need for the type of photographs I want to shoot.

My personal bias would be for the Canon F1 or the Nikon F. Both were fine cameras.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5226987647/

Attached Files:

14. 26x30

26x30 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that is what I plan to do. I am going to hang of to all of them, but I love how the F1 and F feel. The heft of these two is very pleasing to me. Nikon and Canon lenses seem to be bountiful, so two systems to upkeep and learn should not be that hard. The only camera that I really have no attachment to is the Nikkormat. I like the feel, the balance and the layout of the controls. I just have not made friends with it yet, and don't really know why. If anything, I would just trade it for a lens if given the chance. Started replacing the seals on the Ftbn today...

15. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best thing about the FM is that it takes Nikon lenses. I have an FM and an FE-2, both great cameras. I've used Canons and Yashicas, but I love the Nikon lenses.

16. HumidorCassa

HumidorCassa Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Keep them, it's nice to have a selection of different cameras on hand. I have 11 cams, but I mainly focus on glass for my Nikons. I have a Konica T3N (My favorite Camera), Pentax PZ-10 (Travel Camera), Nikon F100 (My main shooter), Nikon F70, Nikon F75 (Backup Nikon, Baby F5) Minolta XG-M (Latest aquisition), 2 Polaroids (635CL and Impulse), Minolta Hi-Matic Rangefinder, Holga 120N and my digital Pentax K110, I also had a Kodak Disc Camera given to me, I don't want to shoot the film though cause I don't think I can get it developed. My son shoots with a Canon Rebel film camera i picked up as well. It's nice to have a selection, and you get to learn different systems and set-ups, which keeps things interesting. I just try and have fun with this addiction... Ummm... Hobby... lol

17. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is sage advice:
    1. Only you can answer that question. When I sold cameras, I found that one camera or camera line would fit in a customer's hands better than another. All other things being equal, the customer's experience was better with which ever camera was more comfortable to handle.
    2. If I were in your position, I would concentrate on two of the Canons (F1 and Ftb) or two of the Nikons (F and FM). I shoot three formats with multiple cameras, however I only use one camera or camera line in a format when shooting a subject. Therefore, if I start shooting 35mm with Nikons, one for color [Nikon N75] and one for black & white [Nikon F100], I will continue using only the Nikons until I am finished with 35mm on that subject. I may then switch to another format with that subject when finish with the first format. Moving back and forth between camera lines while shooting one subject leads to mistakes and thrashing regardless of the number of decades experience one has in photography.
    Steve

18. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You really should get an Olympus OM1 and a set of lenses for that. Then a Hasselblad for when you want a larger negative. :smile: :smile:

19. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing, Both the Nikon and older Canons, Ft, FTb, Pellix, etc used PX15 and PX625 batteries. No longer available. The battery only provides power to the meter.
    The New F1 is battery dependent like the A series cameras.

20. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep them all. Get a hand held meter. See how you feel. All of them are good cameras. Don't look down on the FTb. Use one camera first until you feel comfortable. Then use the next and so on. The solution to your problem will come from within you.

21. 26x30

26x30 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all of the responses! So, I guess having say, a Nikon F with a stack of lenses is more or less the same as having multiple cameras with dedicated lenses that you are familiar with, right? If I only use a 200 tele on the Ftbn and know just how the results will turn out every time then that's my camera for the job. Outfitting the FM with a 28 wide would be the fit for that niche as well. I guess I had it in my mind that I needed to pick a camera and build a set of glass. Maybe I need to learn how they all respond to a specific lens and carry two cameras at a time, or just take one with me with a specific style of capture in mind. I enjoy using an external meter, and feel that dialing in the factors helps me look at everything throughout the day in terms of aperture and speed. Problem solved.

22. 26x30

26x30 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know that there are workarounds for this, but for what it would cost I could buy a new lens. The Canon is a F1, not a New F1, though, so that isn't a problem.