Tools/ lens retaining ring (Wrench?)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Soeren, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A (long) while ago we had a tread where some one posted a link to a company selling tools for photography gear (filter ring straighteners etc). Now I wnat to buy one of those lens retaining ring wrenches and just found out I lost the link. I did search for it here but I can't find it.
    Does the company still exist and does any of you have the link?

Best regards

2. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Søren, I'm not sure if you mean a specific lens spanner, but I have the one Badger sell.

It is a generic one size fits all, it is able to be sized accordingly to the width of each different retaining ring.

It works from 0 through to a number 5 (huge) ring I undid for a friend with an ancient brass looking thingy attached to an 8x10" camera a few weeks ago.

Mick.

3. Ian David

Ian David Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Various types show up on *bay too. Search for lens wrench, or lens spanner.

4. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys. Mick I don't mean a specific spanner, just a good quality one. Jandavid i found one on the bay Im just not sure about the quality.
    Best regards

5. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sk grimes sells a spanner that is pretty amazing
    designed by steve grimes choice of 2 tips, and it comes in a wood box ( or used to at least ).
    you can find them in the sponsor page (skgrimes.com)too.

7. mrmekon

mrmekon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got one of the cheap "economy" ones from micro-tools a couple of weeks ago, and I've used it a bunch of times. It's a little awkward, and the bar without the thumbscrews likes to fall out, but it certainly does its job. The ends are a little too thick for a lot of my smaller lenses, though. That ended up not being a problem for me (there was enough friction to unscrew them anyway), but might be if you have a particularly tight one.

8. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I used to have an adjustable type that used two round rods to hold the wrenches straight. I think I got it for $15. A waste of money. The one from SKGrimes looks good, but I didn't want to spend that much. I just got one from Linos (formerly Rodenstock) at B&H for $15. It's not adjustable, but has pre-sets for common shutters like Copal 0, 1, and 3. It works great and there are no moving parts to lose.

9. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wauw thanks guys. Thats a lot of options. Yes Microtools was the name of the firm, now I remember.
    Best regards

10. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have an SK Grimes one somewhere, and while it's great it's not all that good for some older retaining rings with narrow slots or even small holes. I may buy a set from www.micro-tools.de just for those pesky little awkward thingies.

11. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not a proper tool for the job, but an old caliper can do the trick.
    It is adjustable over a wide range, and has small enough points to fit almost anything.
    But only use an old pair, that has experienced enough knocks to have lost its value as a measuring tool.