Top 20 Prints at Sotheby’s and how much they went for!

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Davec101, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    While doing some research about platinum prints I came across a list of a number of well known prints and how much they went for at auction in Spring 2008 as part of ‘The Quillan Collection of Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Photographs” at Sotheby’s, some quite staggering prices were paid for various prints, most of them being silver geletin, am wondering if these prices will remain this high next year what with the ‘global economic crisis’ taking hold?

Link to article:http://www.brianappelart.com/art_writing_spring_2008_NY_photography_auction_re-cap.htm

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised no-one else has picked up your post, it's interesting to see that all the photographs mentioned fetched well over the estimated values.

My guess is just like the stamp collecting market, art market etc, these items will retain their value and keep increasing simply because supply is limited.

Ian

3. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i reviewed the post and the link but really don't have much too offer as they are way beyond my pocket book

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can but hope Ann :D

I got an amazing Robert Doisneau print from the most unlikely of sources, and other prints I bought or traded for 20+ years ago are now selling for very substantially more.

Perhaps what is more important is that people are investing in Photograps, that can trickle down to the rset of us.

Ian