Toronto High School Seeks Spare Equipment (continued)

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by victorw, Nov 11, 2008.

1. victorw

victorw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Howdy folks.

I am currently running the photography program at Georges Vanier Secondary School here in Toronto. It's an inner city school in a fairly economically depressed part of town. However this does not mean that we are unfortunate. Indeed we have been the subject of a great deal of kindness over the last few months, thanks to the hard work of Bob Carnie, Amy Rafferty, and others such as Fintan. The goal of our program is to commit students to mastery at photography, and many of them have expressed

I'm unsure as to whether this is the best forum section to ask in, but I do have a few equipment requirements that we would have difficulty fulfilling ourselves at full cost (we're a public high school). Mind you what I am asking for is nothing extravagant, so if you happen to have what we're looking for, lonely, and unused, this is a great chance to come out and support education in analogue to digital photography at the high school level. I am currently looking for these items:

1)We are looking for a shutter or a person who is willing to repair a shutter for a 150mm Xenar. Failing that, if you have an copal 0 ~150mm lens in working condition that you don't need that would be great. We have a single 4x5 camera for our school which we do give to some of our most talented students but unfortunately the shutter for it's lens has issues.

2) Bob Carnie got us a 8x10 enlarger and although we do have 8x10 pinhole cameras, we are looking for some kind of 8x10 camera. If you have an 8x10 camera and holders that you do not need, we could use one. Alternatively if you have a mangled 8x10 of the wooden camera era, such as a korona gundlach I am willing to attempt to repair it.

3) Finally I am looking for some Kodalith/other Ortho film. It doesn't matter if it's out of date. We are also interested in picking up any other out of date consumables for classical darkroom.

Thanks and cheers.

-Victor Samou Wong

2. mark mccarty

mark mccarty Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello Victor:
    Can you use a 35mm pentax spotmatic camera? It came to me in original condition from a relative, so it's free if you want it.

3. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've made this thread sticky in the hope that more will see it.

4. victorw

victorw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes that would be great! Our students use those. please PM me.

jd callow: thank you sir. I think that you did the same for Bob's thread, and that is still appreciated too.
    Cheers

5. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 3/4 of a bulk roll of T-Max 100.Outdated but still usable.
    Whats your mailing address?

Mike

6. victorw

victorw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    PM me for mailing address.
    Cheers and thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
  7. victorw

victorw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm going to post this in a new thread elsewhere I think, but we have a new need, and that is we need to know if anybody is travelling between New Hampshire and Toronto. Amy Rafferty has very kindly donated some of Ted's old paper to us, but we're finding that the shipping is a significant obstacle, so if any of you, or if any of you know someone who is doing this and amenable to transporting paper, please let me know.

8. mark mccarty

mark mccarty Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    hello Victor W:
    Sorry so long in answering re: pentax camera donation. I also have two 4x5's you can have--a B&J press, and a Bush Pressman, both without lenses
    but otherwise in good operating condition. I'll happpily donate all three if you can give me a mailing address. How about a letter of receipt, so I can
    deduct this donation from my income tax?

I also

9. m. dowdall

m. dowdall Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Paper, Film and Chemicals

Hi Victor

I was tidying up the basement and sorted out the supplies I am not likely to use. There are some rolls of 24 & 36 inch rolls as well as sheet paper. 120, 4x5, 8x10 and 10x12 film.

Email me if you can use any of these.

Michael

10. apconan

apconan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey, just wanted to say that this is a great thing you have running here. I myself am a high school student from Kitchener, Ontario, and unfortunately my school doesn't have a photography course, so no darkroom for me until university next year.

I just wanted to applaud Victor for teaching my some people my age about analog photography... there are some things you just can't learn on the internet... and I know several young Torontonian artists so I can appreciate what you do. As well as a kudos to everyone who has contributed, it's things like these which made me join APUG... great community.

11. SMG

SMG Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    apconan, which Kitchener school are you at? KCI has a photography course, and a bunch of their students were at the Waterloo Arts Fair today selling prints.

It was really good to see these students out there with the great images they had produced and posted up in the stalls there. I bought a few from each just to help out and make them feel proud about their work. All of them had something interesting in the images shown, and all had distinctly different visions.

As for the Toronto school, I don't have any spare camera's at the moment but will keep it in mind.

12. J. Miller Adam

J. Miller Adam Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Dear Victor,

Congratulations on making an organized ask to a generous and responsive group!

I teach MS & HS photo, analog, digital and everything else, and I'm sure my equipment collection looks as ragtag as yours.

I don't know if you needed the ortho film for your pinhole cameras, but I used to teach pinholes that way and at some point (probably ran out of film) switched to just making RC paper negatives, and have had much better success in getting good continuous tone images (whereas with the lith film it was always getting too contrasty). My kids are able to make remarkably beautiful images using paper negs, and suddenly building 16x20+ camera formats, out of black foamcore mostly, becomes a perfectly reasonable proposition).

My unsolicited advice!

Keep it up, email me if you want to trade thoughts!

J. Miller Adam
    The Colorado Springs School
    jmadam@css.org

13. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Victor
    I have a couple of paper safes and possibly a lens or two for your enlargers. Drop by sometime , I also have a bunch of empty frames that I probably could donate.
    Bob

14. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too teach photo to 8-12 graders here in Salt Lake City. We have an amazing surplus of darkroom gear in spite of having over 30 working enlargers. If you need lenses, an enlarger or two, some old 35mm cameras, paper safes, old Dektol developer (still good...), an E-6 kit or two, etc...it would be great to help out a program that is trying to promote analog photography.

Let me know what you want/need. I'm sure we have something laying around that you could use.

Maybe we ought to start a sub-forum for educators? I know that there are several university professors here as well as us lowly HS teachers. :wink: