Total Lunar Eclipse on film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jglass, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jglass

jglass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm wondering if anyone caught the total Lunar Eclipse, which was the visible in North America last night, on film. Over at the Online Photographer, someone posted some digital images taken in Northern California.

In one of them, after totality, when the rim is beginning to brighten again, he complains that his sensor was unable to capture the full brightness range and I was wondering if 400 speed film would've done a better job. It would be interesting to see a comparison at that same stage, as unlikely as that seems. But that site gets a LOT of traffic, and it's be nice to have a link over there to a nice image of the end of the eclipse on film, showing its superior range.

2. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I slept through it unfortunately... was supposedly clear around that time as well though clouds were on and off so it is hard to know unless I'd been awake :-(

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunatly, it was snowing here last night, too cloudy.

4. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Harry -- just down the street from you -- it was perfectly clear and wonderful. I don't have a long enough lens to have done it justice, but it was a treat.

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I slept through myself. I think that Walter/Wendy Carlos used to photograph eclipse years ago.

Jeff

6. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darn...

7. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I shot some Provia 100F in my Canon A-1, but based on my last E-6 experience, I will probably have forgotten this thread by the time I see the results. I also used "that other" technology, so I have some vague confidence that I'll get a few "workable" shots. But mostly it reminded me that I am sorely ill-equipped for such an exercise. In the total phase, even 10 or 20 second exposures show significant motion without a tracking mount of some sort. During the beginning, I was able to use fairly quick exposures, those are sharp. I do so little of astro stuff I can no way justify the gear to do it right, so I think of my efforts as creating souvenirs to jog the memory.

It was fairly clear here in the Philadelphia 'burbs, but it was in the 20s, so at 3:45 am or so, I decided sleep was more important than tracking the return to full moonlight!

8. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not this one, I have photographed a few others (B&W on 5x7 and 8x10 cameras). I stepped outside a few times to enjoy this one.

9. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I woke up several times during the night to check things out. Unfortunately, since west Michigan is the cloudiest place in the country, the eclipse was obscured. But it was interesting to note how the light coming through the clouds and reflecting off of the snow covered substantially dimmed and then brightened as the event transpired.

10. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Messed this one all cloudy,but the one I did see a couple of years ago was pretty neat,thought that was what they call a blood moon,its pretty red.

11. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got it!

This is from my roof in Brooklyn NY :whistling:

Attached Files:

12. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great shot, Bruce, care to share exposure details? :smile:

13. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yup, that's what I saw.

14. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Down here in Australia, the southern states had a bit of cloud cover until around 9.40pm, when patchiness gave way to a clear sky. Around 290km west of here in Warranambool (a large sea-side town), photographers were out in force and submitted some to the media. The northern half of the state had clear skies all night so waiting to hear of a photographer who made a pilgrimage to a large granite outcrop to photograph it.

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...urns-red-in-lunar-eclipse-20101222-194o6.html

My understanding is that it's the first time in 400 years that a total lunar eclipse has coincided with the Winter Solstice in the northern hemisphere and the Summer Solstice in the southern hemisphere (ah, we're still waiting for summer!!!).

15. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, ahhhhh... yea. a really big f-stop and a long exposure, yea that was it. :smile:

16. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I couldn't tell any difference in the overcast sky because of the orange low pressure sodium lights from the distant city:smile:

17. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I first saw the moon at about 9:30 PM AEDST because of patchy cloud cover, and I was disappointed to see that it was just a normal full moon :-(