Touched my first hasselblad this weekend!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jackie_like_the_chan, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jackie_like_the_chan

jackie_like_the_chan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I finally got to take out my first (excluding the holga...) medium format camera from class! It was a hasselblad 500 c/m and let me just say WOW. I know it was a loaner but damn, we just go well together! I have a very very very bad feeling that my checking account is going to be sans the price of a new camera by the time this class is over... Once I got used to the backwards feeling, it felt so good to compose the shot and the negatives! They were gorgeous! Getting an extremely bad case of GAS!!!

2. Dr.Pain-MD

Dr.Pain-MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You just wait until you touch a Rolleiflex! :tongue:

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    they are just beautiful. love at first sight?

4. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hassy makes great equipment and I imagine you will start looking in the Classifieds for some great used ones very soon.

Thanks for your first impressions, it reminds me of my first thoughts with one in hand for the first time.

5. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once I went into a shop to buy a 35mm lens or whatever, can't remember. They had a Hasselblad 501CM and I made the mistake of asking to try it. Needless to say, I didn't buy what I originally went there for. Since then I added a 50, a 250, another back and a prism. Right now, I literally just got back home from that same shop I bought my 501. This time I went to buy a Canon 35/2 they had for sale online. Well...instead of that I came home with a 150CF...

It really is a slippery slope. Or there is something they spray in the air in that shop.

6. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    offto the ppoor house you go

7. mathomas

mathomas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a lot of cameras, but my Hasselblads are my favorites, for sure. So much thought went into the design, and they handle so nicely, and they're so very versatile, and the results are so fantastic. Best camera ever!

8. stavrosk

stavrosk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If only developing was cheaper for medium format...

9. mrcamm

mrcamm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i prefer....

the Mamiya - was disappointed with holding my first Hasselblad - thought it far too small!

10. jackie_like_the_chan

jackie_like_the_chan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frankly, I'm a little scared to try the other cameras... I'm worried I'll love them all! It's bad, I keep checking keh and b&h and the bay of evil. I'm also beginning to resemble a kid at the pet store I wanna bring him home and I'll name him Vlad and I'll feed him film and take him for long walks.....

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now you need to go wash your hands after playing with the dirty little thing.

12. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's not difficult to do yourself and far far cheaper. The rate at which labs are disappearing we may have to eventually......anyway it's more fun. and more fulfilling.

13. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are we talking about cameras or newly discovered genitals?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cantore

cantore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might fall out of love with the Hasselblad if you held a Mamiya 7! Mamiya G.A.S is incurable!

16. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't want to say this here at all specially in this site, but what made me to enter film world is my Hasselblad digital medium format, this digital camera ws my first medium format ever i had, and because i was blown away with its quality i decided to see where i can get that film body one, because in my country i can't find it at all, and after many threads here and another sites talking about how cool is film Hasselblad, i just ordered it with RZ at the same time together in same box but both only bodies, later in 2009 while i was in USA i bought 2 film backs new for each [501cm and RZ], until now Hasselblad is the best hndling camera in my hand even i have the issue in focus, even my Mamiya 7II didn't impress me as this Hasselblad, but mamiya 7 will be my travel one once it is fixed due to weight.

Bottom line, i am very very happy to be a Hasselblad user/shooter [film and digital], and i will not sacrifice it for any another cameras, Rollei or Bronica or Yashica all are great systems, but Hasselblad will be my choice over them, just 6x7 and 6x9 getting my love over Hasselblad, I am lost.

17. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Wait until you touch your first 8x10....:}

Not a bad time to be buying a film camera, especially the Hasselblad. Prices appear to be more reasonable, but higher then last year I think.

18. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm in the same boat having picked up my first Hasselblad a couple of weeks ago, a mint/unused 501cm. I've owned and used a lot of cameras over the years but the V-series is pretty much perfection, at least for me. I like my Mamiya 645 with PhaseOne digital back, but I LOVE my Hassy. Pretty much same relationship with digital vs film. The Hassy absolutely oozes quality and is a joy to use, there's no going back after you've caught the bug.

Here's my mistress...

501cm.jpg

19. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a couple of Hasselblads and a nice assortment of lenses which are my mainstay. That said, if you want some real fun and excitement get a Holga and some out-dated film. That is, if you like surprises. Be sure to tape the back closed.

http://www.jefffreyglasser.com/

20. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's always impressive to me is how relatively light and compact they are, especially with the WL finder. And you definitely get the impression (borne out by many) that if kept up properly, these things will go on indefinitely. The lens shutters are probably the part that needs service most frequently.

I saw a guy in the local camera shop a couple of weeks ago with a gold (!) 500C/M around his neck. He'd bought it there recently -- they already have another under glass that I've drooled over any number of times. Talk about camera bling, and good on him for actually using it. (He had an M9 with him also.)

21. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I feel i want to buy another Hasselblad 500 series, but this time i want to get 500CM, chrome, and film back [Black], because i have 501CM black and film back chrome.
    Hope one day to buy 500cm body[chorme] with lens 80mm CF only as i can use my current chrome back, or to buy a black back and 80mm CF lens

22. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've assisted photographers that have used them for decades. They're gorgeous cameras. It's the combination of Swedish design and German optics. Feels good in the hands. The good news is that they're cheaper now than 15-20 years ago. But still not cheap.

23. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there jealousy?

Does your wife know? :smile:

24. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My girlfriend knows and accepts me having a mistress, as long as she's made out of metal :laugh:

25. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you will get married, it will be a different story :wink: :tongue:

Good luck with your new mistress until you get married :whistling:

26. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    are you guys talking out of experience?