touching up the AE-1 and AE-1 Program

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by David Lyga, Feb 14, 2013.

1. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Most are aware that the Canon AE-1 and it progeny, the AE-1 Program (and assorted siblings), have tops and bottoms made of plastic. Canon spent considerable R&D to 'fool' the public into thinking that those tops and bottoms were metal, as, back then, in the mid-70s, deviating from metal was anathema.

But, with time, the silver coating wears on parts, especially at the strap-lug area, revealing a rather ugly white plastic underneath. Are there any simple ways of touching up this plastic so it goes back to the original silver color? - David Lyga

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  3. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you benjiboy. It would be interesting also to hear what others say. There probably are many different answers. I am sure that I am not the first to query this. - David Lyga

4. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Duct tape and gaffer tape come to mind. Otherwise try to match some automotive touch-up paint.

5. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The matte chrome finish is actually easier to fix with paint than shiny chrome. Bring the plate to automotive shop and they should be able to recommend which bright silver paints to use. If all fails you can still use black paint :wink:

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Testors has a matte silver paint. Hobby shop, plastic model paint. It's not going to be durable though.

7. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Really? Fooled me I've owned one for 18 years.. I'm going to look when I get home, I don't believe you :tongue:

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk