Toyo 45aii pricing question

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by kcham16, Jun 12, 2014.

1. kcham16

kcham16 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all- buying a 4x5 kit, and have the chance to buy a Toyo 45aii with 2 nikon lenses, loupe, and 15 film holders all mint for $1350 used. Compared to medium format, this is a cheap price, but I am wondering your thoughts as a price for a large format kit. Your input is appreciated.
    Thanks!!!

2. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Depends on what "two Nikon" lenses but I'm guessing it's a good deal as nikons are generally newer. And the mark 2 toyo is higher in price though that's market and perceived value because it's only knobs that are different than the mark 1 version.

You could PROBABLY get something a bit cheaper but you would have to scramble all the parts together rather than buying it as a complete kit.

So I think it's probably a decent deal.

But depends on the Nikon lensed

3. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As others have said, it depends on the lenses. I will however say it would be really hard to get hurt too bad on this if you decided it wasn't for you and decided to sell. You are also going to need a good meter, tripod, dark cloth and some sort of case to carry and store it in. You may also decide you need another lens. Bill Barber

4. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah, if one of the lenses is a Nikkor-SW 90mm f/4.5, Nikkor-M 200mm or Nikon-M 300mm it could be a pretty good deal!

5. kcham16

kcham16 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all- thanks for the responses. The nikon lenses are not spectacular, but very solid. W210 & sw75 lenses are in the kit- both nikkor. I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for the advice.

6. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't call the Nikkor SW 'not spectacular'. It's a 106-degree, 200mm IC, similar to a Fujinon SWD or Super-Angulon / Grandagon N f/5.6, they're worth around $200-500 by themselves in good nick. Plus the Nikkor is an f/4.5, bit brighter for easier focussing. (I haven't used a Nikkor, but if it's anthing like my Fujinon SWD 90, it's great).
    The 210 may not be an APO or anything, but it'll almost cover 8x10, you'll never be able to shift enough to hit its limits on 4x5. Can be around $2-300 on its own.
    Then add in the camera, I've never seen a nice field-cam go for much less than $500, let alone a newer model.

All up, as long as it all works, bargain.

7. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you don't mind the weight, the Toyo Aii is an excellent camera. A good buddy of mine owns the earlier Toyo A.

I bought a Nikkor-SW 75mm just a few years ago when I was starting out in LF. It was an excellent lens, sharp and contrasty. Ultimately, I found 75mm a little too wide for my taste so I sold it. I paid right at $400.00 including shipping and sold it for about $380.00 on Ebay. I lost 20 bucks but I had it for a little while and considered it a cheap rental fee. At least now I know I prefer a 90mm! :smile:

8. andrew plume

andrew plume Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a really good deal and price, too, imo

good luck

andrew

9. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that'sabout what I paid for the camera new when it was new.It's my favorite 4x5.some folks claim that the adjustments are limited but they outperform what the lenses can deal with. I hope you have much fun with 4x5.It's real photography,slowing you down to make real art.all the best

10. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as everything is working and in decent shape it sounds fine.

11. WayneStevenson

WayneStevenson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it was anything but a Toyo or Calumet, you would have an excellent deal. What you have, I would call a good deal.

Bargains are to be had for better quality cameras if you're patient. But $1300 for that is still a good deal. I'm happy with my Toyo.