Toyo 45AII question

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Rollei fan, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Toyo 45AII looks like an interesting camera, but I couldn't find enough information about the revolving back it has. Thus this maybe stupid question.. :confused:

Which rollfilmbacks can be used on a Toyo 45AII without removing the ground glass, only some special thin models or what? For instance can you insert a Da Yi 6x12 or a Super Rollex rollfilmback under the ground glass? If not, is it easy to take the ground glass off on a 45AII or do you "need three hands" to do it?

2. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The back is a Graflock back so any accessory that will work with that should be okay. I have an older model of that camera and have a roll film back that I very rarely use which I believe came from Calumet. The camera back on mine can easily be removed to rotate from horizontal to vertical - just two sliders.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

3. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The thing to consider, IMO, is the Fresnel... I bought a Calumet C2 roll film back for my 45AII and if careful I can insert it BUT if I weren't careful it would come in contact with the Fresnel. Supposedly the Calumet C2N (new more plasticy version) has some sort of bumpers on it which might help.

Toyo makes 6x7 and 6x9 insert-able holders which are supposed to work. I plan on simply buying a removable roll film back for mine at some point.

All the best.

Shawn

4. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shawn, you certainly know if it is easy to remove the ground glass from a 45AII?

5. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry, I guess I didn't read your question properly. You would want to go one of two ways:

1. Something like the Calumet C2N I mentioned or the Toyo versions - that slide in like a film holder.

or

2. Something like a Horseman / Wista / Super Rollex where you take the whole back off and replace it with the holder. (Basically, the back has two sliders like on the top of your front standard where you attach the lens board.)

6. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I must take off the whole back to attach a normal (not slide-in) rollfilm holder, can I install the holder only vertically or horizontally? Or is the Graflok part of the back also a revolving part? I hope you understand what I mean?

7. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you use the 'remove and replace' the back variety the rotating part will come off and you will be forced into horizontal format.

8. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, thanks. That means that vertical shots with a normal (not slide-in) 6x9 back are possible only when the whole camera is turned 90 degrees, and that restricts the use of movements considerably. :sad:

9. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I checked the model I have. It is a Calumet C2 and have used it with a Toyo 45A (metal body). I must admit that I have found little use for it since I also use medium format and if need be I can crop a 4x5.

10. Gary Tarbert

Gary Tarbert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all , I at one time did the same as you and just cropped 5x4 (still do for mono)
    But here in perth E6 sheets are $ 13.00 each to process and 120 rollfilm is $ 11.50
    i get 6 shots with my 6x12 Linholf back so when i require this format the math is simple. BTW the Linholf back is great keeps the film very taught does require
    the removal of the glass though . Cheers Gary

11. maurits

maurits Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Of course you CAN take pictures both in landscape and portrait orientation with a Graflok film holder on a 45AII. :smile:

One does not take off the "whole" back assembly to attach a Graflok accessory to a 45AII. Just remove the ground glass/spring back assembly. That comes off really easy by means of the two ribbed rectangular push buttons located below and above the ground glass (when in landscape mode).

You then attach the Graflok roll film back and do not lose the 45AII's back revolving capability.

Cheers, Maurits

12. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you, that sounds more logical. :smile: But the ground glass only can be taken off with the revolving back in horizontal (landscape mode) position, right? I couldn't find any picture on the net showing the details of this revolving back, thus I had to ask.

13. maurits

maurits Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Rollei fan, you can take off the ground glass in any position. See pics...

Pic 3 shows the back with the folding viewer. The red arrows point to the buttons for removing the groundglass/springback.

Pic 2 shows the camera back with the ground/glass spring back removed. The graflok back can be revolved and used in any position on a 360 degree scale without vignetting.

Pic 1 shows the same, but with a Graflok type film holder attached.

Pic 4 shows the camera (A) with the revolving back removed, the revolving back (B) with the film holder still attached to it (you can see the darkslide from the side that normally faces the lens) and the ground glass/spring back (C) also shown from the side facing the lens.

Cheers, Maurits

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  14. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great, many thanks, very informative! :smile: Does the 45AII allow front movements with a 65mm lens mounted on a recessed lensboard when shooting 6x9?

15. maurits

maurits Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Not much, but it works. You will need a 19 mm to 25 mm recessed Toyo-Field board. Don't use a Technika sized board in the special adapter, because the latter places the lens forward again.

16. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry for the mistake Rollei Fan! And thanks for pointing it out maurits!

I'm not sure what back I had my hands on that required you to remove it entirely - I was disappointed with it for sure.

maurits, that looks like the Horseman back I was considering, it's a great help to know exactly how it does function, thanks again for posting that.

Shawn

17. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    After my error in understanding/explaining :confused: how the back on my Toyo 45AII works I intended to post an example picture with the Calumet version attached with groundglass removed rather than slid in like a film holder. Either way allows rotation of the back. I forgot about it for a while but was reminded tonight so here it is, maybe this will help someone else like myself down the road.

Attached Files: