Toyo Revolving Back on Cambo 4x5 sc2 Camera?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jarvisd, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Jarvisd

Jarvisd Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Medium Format
    Hey there LF folks, I've been browsing the forums for years now but finally have a question worth posting to some of you view camera experts. I'm a student who is relatively new to large format and becoming addicted to the Cambo I have on loan from school at the moment.

I'm looking into buying one of my own though and have found what might end up being a good deal on an as-is Cambo 4x5 SC2 camera. The one issue is that the camera is indeed sold AS-IS and does not include anything but the front and back standards, bellows, and monorail. Obviously a lens board and lens are not hard to purchase separately but my question is concerning a back/ground glass that will fit this cambo.

The Cambo brand revolving back assembly goes for $650 on Calumet's website. I'd like to avoid spending more on the back than the actual camera cost but am having trouble finding a used back.

I did stumble upon a Toyo 4x5 Revolving Back on KEH
    that is a bit more reasonable than the new Cambo back. They appear to have the same spring loaded clips as the Cambo back on my loaner.

That being said I am not positive if the Toyo back would fit the Cambo 4x5 sc2.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to piece together a working 4x5 as cheaply as possible and not get stuck with a camera I can't find a back for! thanks in advance for any info on the subject!

-Dan J