trade my nikkor 28 ais 2.8

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Trade' started by mporter012, Aug 13, 2013.

1. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a 28 ais 2.8 that I'm looking to trade. The glass appears to be in great condition. The body is well used. The keh bargain price is $245. I'll post a pic later.

I'm interested in the following:
    Nikkor 28 ai version
    Nikkor 35mm lenses
    Or any Bronica sq-a goods
    Or any Hasselblad 500 goods

Cheers!

2. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What's the difference between the ais and ai versions of the 28mm??

3. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From what I've read, the ais is optically superior. And they actually still make it. You can buy it from b&h for $500! It's a classic apparently. I just don't use it really, so I'd prefer to get the cheaper ai and a 35...

4. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Ais is usually considered better.
    New lamps for old?

5. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I suppose so. There is also a 28 ai f2 in addition to the 2.8... It's quite pricey.

6. KennyMark

KennyMark Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AIS is newer and has several additional features in addition to different optical engineering and coating formulations. One difference is that they provide additional data to the camera about what lens is mounted on it, some of which anticipated Matrix metering as is the case on the FA and some other later bodies. A common belief is that it changed the mechanics for Program mode, but AI lenses also work in program mode on the FA and others that have it, as long as you keep the aperture ring set to the smallest opening. The other difference that I'm aware of is that the AIS lenses tell the FA and others with program mode, what the focal length is (at least for fixed-focal lengths, I can't say that I know about whether zooms do or not) so that the camera can maintain a faster shutter speed for lenses 135mm and longer, when in program mode.

Some claim that the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AIS lens is one of the finest that Nikon designed and produced. I can't comment on it as I have not tested it against other 28mm lenses nor do I own it, but the reputation certainly continues to prop the price of that lens on places like the 'bay. It's considered a cult object, like the 180mm f2.8, the 35mm f1.4, the 200mm f2.0, and some others.

7. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can understand why mporter012 would want to trade. I got the 28mm f3.5 ai'd (non-AIS) for about $50 and it's one of the best lenses I've ever shot with (image quality and build quality). Selling the 28mm f2.8 AIS and "downgrading" and making some money would make sense in my books.

8. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here are a few photos. Sorry the detail sucks. They were taken on my phone.

I double checked tonight and the glass is REALLY clean - about as good as it gets. The body is worn, with some scratching and a few places where is paint is chipped - but there are no dents or dings or anything bad. It's just worn.

28 ais.jpg 28 ais #2.jpg 28 ais 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  9. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was not aware of a f3.5. So many options!

10. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bump.

11. agnosticnikon

agnosticnikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent

12. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bump!

13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got one of these 28/3.5s, and I'm utterly happy with it. If you don't need the light gathering and/or close focus capability of the faster lenses, the 3.5 is the way to go. It's small and light, too, giving perfect balance on a plain prism F, F2, or Nikkormat. Nearly the same size and weight as the 50/2 and 35/2.8.

14. Robert Ley

Robert Ley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For years I had a very nice 28mm f:2 AI, I barely used it, not a great wide angle shooter and wasn't using my Nikon's that much so I sold it and picked up a very clean 28 f:3.5 AI. Never looked back...very sharp and small lens, a real sleeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

15. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Once I sell the 28 2.8, I'm going to likely go with the f/3.5. I use the 28mm focal length so infrequently, that my money will be better spent elsewhere.

16. sparrow6224

sparrow6224 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    mporter -- you'd be better off with the 28mm f/3.5 -- it's a better lens than the f/2.8 Ai. Sells for cheaper too, so your cash benefit would be higher.

17. ArtScar2

ArtScar2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Of course it is just another opinion, but I own and use all 4. 28mm Ai-s , Ai, 2.0 and 3.5. The 2.8 Ai gets little love from others, but I get along fine with it. I love the long focus throw and at infinity it is to me the same as the ai-s. The Ai-s is better up close and the 3.5 is great stopped down a bit all over. That said the 2.0 is superior and the last one I would ever sell.

18. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice.