Traditional Printing

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by thuggins, Feb 2, 2011.

1. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My apologies, as I'm sure this has come up before. I'm looking for a shop (or list of shops) that still does traditional (photo/chemical) printing, as opposed to scanning/electronic. My local shop has gone all electronic for printing, and Dwayne's says they only do electronic.

I recently shot some T-max 400 of the moon in waxing gibbous, and got one truely remarkable shot. But even a high resolution scan can't deal with the subtle tonality; the digital artifacts are horrible. I would like to get a good print of it that captures the quality in the negative.

2. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it would help a lot to let us know where you are located, considering that this is a global forum. :smile:

3. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What format are you shooting? Where are you located? How remarkable is the shot; are you looking for a lab or is it something you want to have a fine print made by a printmaker? Having seen the Robin Bell video that was posted here last fall, I think that having your print done by such an artist would be quite the experience.

There are many fine commercial labs that still do traditional printing, but I have only used them for my colour work. In Detroit, I use Titan and in Canada, ABCPhotocolour in Vancouver. Both labs do outstanding work. In addiditon, I think that Colormark in Phoenix also prints up to 4x5" negatives. They share a building with Photomark, so you will be sure to leave with an empty wallet.

4. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thru the wonders of the US Mail, it really doesn't matter much where anyone is located. But I am looking for shops in the US.

5. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    try elevator
    http://www.elevatordigital.ca/

it just over the border into toronto ....
    bob carnie ( the owner ) is probably one of the best printers alive today ...
    ( and part of apug !! )

john

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where in the U.S.? There's Cameras Etc. up the road from me here in Newark, DE.

8. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eric Nelson in Chicago has his own small b&w operation called Archival Custom Printing. Here's a link: http://www.archival-photo.net/

He's a great guy, highly recommended.

-Laura