TRANSPORTING A NU-ARC 26-1KS

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Dialist, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Dialist

Dialist Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have to pick up a Nu-Arc 26-1ks I won on e-bay. I have a Chevy HHR which is aq sorta small SUV. Maximum height to the ceiling/roof is 32". I have read the height of these units are 32' and 33". Can I easily separate the upper part from the lower part?

Thanks
    John Vermont:sad:

2. davido

davido Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    hi john

I picked mine up in my brother-in-laws jeep. It fit fine in the back. You definately want to take the top off, it's only 4 bolts. If you need a manual, I can email you a copy.

david

3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Watch the glass on the underside of the top unit, it is special with a dot pattern and you don't want to break it.

4. Brickbird

Brickbird Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Dialist....I just measured my NuArc 26 1K and it is exactly 31.25 inches from the table it sits on to the top of the unit and it is 29.5 inches wide.................TW

5. Jim Graves

Jim Graves Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If the glass Curt is referring to ... the safety glass ... is seated the same way on the 26-1K as the NuArc 22NL (the 1K's little brother) ... it will fall out if you tilt the unit. Somebody with a 1K can confirm that.

The glass is tempered and will break into a million pieces if it falls out. New glass costs over $100. The dot pattern on the glass is to even out hot-spots across the easel ... so it's a good idea to make sure the original is safe before moving the unit.

6. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Can you borrow a van or a larger suv? I brought mine home in a 2003 Toyota Highlander.

John Powers

7. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We bought, and brought ours home from a print shop that no longer used it. It fit nicely in the back of our Subaru Outback wagon. It was quite manageable with two people moving it. Good luck.

8. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As David said, it is only 4 bolts on the back to separate the top from the bottom. It is highly recomendable to separate the two and then it is easy for one person to transport the unit. Just make sure to protect the glass.

9. Dialist

Dialist Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    davido,

I greatly appreciate your kind offer. Yes please e-mail me at jfmulholland45@yahoo.com
    I live in Vermont. The unit is in North Carolina. I have a 28 hr round trip drive on my hands. It is a newer unit in excellent condition, mounted on a base made for it. I got it for $152!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to etch in brass. I can't wait to simply read the manual and give me some idea what I am doing.

Thanks again,
    John, Vermont
    802-467-3588

10. AshenLight

AshenLight Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is probably incredibly obvious, but be sure to remove the lamp and pack it securely!

Ash

11. Brickbird

Brickbird Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    John....I'll give you $252 for it for a $100 profit. I need a back-up..... That is a very nice price you paid so do take good care of it. It wouldn't be in Asheville, would it?!.........tw

12. Dialist

Dialist Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ash,

Thank you for the tip! I did not know enough to remove the bulb.

John
    Northeast Kingdom, VT

13. Dialist

Dialist Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Brickbird,

I have been bird dogging e-bay for months. Nothing was ever close, wanted to much, too old.......the same shop in Selma,NC had an Amerigraph that closed out about an hour before. I bid on it. Lost. Went for $203. I spoke with Selma and they said hands down I got the better deal.

Thanks for the offer. My wife is having a cow that I am driving that far. They will not ship it. But even with gas and tolls I figure I got a good buy and could recoup the $$ if needed.

14. Dialist

Dialist Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Made the round trip from Portland Maine to Selma NC in 29 hrs! Unit was already disassembled. No Test!! Got home. Needed no manual to assemble the obvious hook ups, screw connections etc. Worked right off!! I did get a free $45 manual from M&R. Anyone interested pls e-mail and I will forward the manual

15. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't want to be the one who causes problems, however I loaded mine intact in the back of my Suburban and moved it several hundred miles. It had a legs which I had to remove. Don't see how the bulb comes out when loading it in a SUV and transporting it. Bigger danger, in my opinion, might be handling the bulb improperly and shortening its life. The folks at NU ARC are very helpful when you have questions about their machines. Oh, mine is the 26-1K. Great machine. Bought a replacement glass from NU ARC and a couple of replacement bulbs or from Bulbman if I remember correctly. My unit kept blowing fuses, so I pulled out the instruction manual and changed some wires back to their proper position and it works like a charm now.

16. jon.oman

jon.oman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm the guy who bid against you on the Amergraph. If I did not win that, I was going for the NuArc. I only had 246 miles to drive one way to pick up my win. They loaded it into my F150, and my son helped me get it into my garage. The unit works very well! I'm glad you made out well on the NuArc. You got it for a great price!

17. Dialist

Dialist Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just as I figured!