Transporting wet prints

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Stephen Samuels, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Stephen Samuels

Stephen Samuels Member

Anyone had any experience with moving wet prints between locations during processing? Let me explain.

I belong to a camera club about 45 minutes away from my home where they have a 10x8 large format enlarger in their darkroom. I go there to use the kit (i have the LF camera but could never house such a monster of an enlarger) and develop the prints in situ for obvious quality reasons. The thing is, i use fibre-based paper and am faced with put the prints in the washer and twiddling my thumbs for a couple of hours while they rinse through. And even if i did that, i would have to wait much, much longer to let them dry.

So my question is: has anyone any experience of boxing up prints in, say, a plastic food storage box, and taking them home to wash/dry? Obviously, i wouldn't move them until after a good fix, but will they survive for up to an hour in transit before i got them home to finish the process?

Any thoughts or practical suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can only speak for slightly wet RC prints but I was foolish enough to try and bring home these from the college darkroom before complete drying and they stuck to each other and the plastic sheet container.

It might be possible if you could build a box with separate layers such as a metal drying screen that takes at least 8x10 sheets or bigger and keeps each sheets separate from the others and then place such a screen in a cardboard or wooden box. Very cumbersome but with a car it should be possible.

Not sure how what a quick rinse then drying over an hour would do to the eventual washing process.

I take it you do not have developing and fixing equipment at home but only washing equipment.

pentaxuser

3. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I was at college, some of my fellow students would take wet prints home in paper packaging bags. I wouldn't recommend that though - it's too easy to wreck the prints. I think your suggestion would work if you could ensure the prints did not dry out or get knocked about in transit. Leaving a little water on the prints would obviously help. FB prints come apart easily when wet, but if they dry out you'll never separate them without damage - been there, done that! When you get home, soak the prints as soon as you can. Do a trial run with some duff prints. It's hardly ideal but I don't see why you couldn't make it work.

Alternatively, have a chat to the club officials and see if there's somewhere you could leave prints to dry overnight. Maybe they have an old flatbed dryer lurking about that you could use - they're brill for getting prints flat too.

Good luck,
    kevs

4. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dear Stephen,

Consider using a print drying book after a rinse and a few minutes in hypo clearing agent.

Neal Wydra

5. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lately, I have been using a clean 5-gal. bucket for a print washer. Just drill some small holes in the bottom. Let the water hose run slowly into the top.
    Stand prints up vertically. Curl them around the sides of the bucket, emulsion facing inward. There's enough room to wash two or three 11x14s. Maybe five or six 8x10s.

So, what if you didn't drill holes in the bucket and filled it full of water? You could fit the snap-on lid onto the bucket.

Okay, so that would be heavy as hell... What if you used a Tupperware or Rubbermaid container with a snap-on lid?

I don't know... Just spitballing.

6. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've heard of people doing what desertratt said. Transport in a container filled with water. Make sure it has a good lid that won't slosh water in your car.

In fact, I think there was a thread recently where someone was asking if it would be OK to do just this.

7. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

If you mean a blotter book, I actually tried it. With glossy surface FB print, blotter paper left marks/impressions that never went away. Also, without a complete wash, any print that comes in contact with the blotter will be contaminated. (with fixer)

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Something that seals very well - like Tupperware - should work fine with FB paper.

I would make sure that the prints have at least 15 minutes of washing before transit.

9. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would suggest that they need enough water to be properly wet (not merely damp), but not enough to slosh. Definitely easier with RC due to its greater wet rigidity.

Maybe if you had some arrangement of clips in the bottom of the tray that could hold each corner of the print so that no matter how violently you drive, the prints won't end up all wadded up at one end of your container. Or you could put flat plastic on top of your prints and clamp that down loosely with the container lid; it'd prevent all movement of the prints.

10. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dear tkamiya,

When working in a local community darkroom, I have used blotter books to transport and dry prints without issue. Those prints were well washed with excess water removed. It could have been that I was lucky or unknowingly found the right amount of dampness to transport the brand of paper I used. In this case, the prints will not be effectively washed and will be washed after removal from whatever device is used to transport them. As they will already have fixer in them, a little more should cause no issue.

Neal Wydra

11. brbeck

brbeck Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What I do at my community darkroom is after the prints are washed I squeegee the prints off and place them face up in the back of my SUV. They sit on a carpeted floor mat. I print on FB paper up to 11x14. I usually have no more then 6 prints. I only have about a 25 minute drive home. Once home I put them face down on a window screen to dry. Never had a problem with them.

12. gracjan

gracjan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had to practice it few times. I took out my prints from the tray just before leaving the darkroom (to keep them as wet as possible), packed into a thick black plastic bag that the paper is stored in and sealed it tightly with adhesive tape. Worked for me, after 30 min of driving prints were still wet.

13. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have had the same problem with RC prints of sticking together but not with matt fiber. I take my matt fiber prints freshly squeegeed, lay them on top of one another in a tray and take them home, no sticking. On my drive I will occasionally thumb through them just to reassure myself they aren't but none have so far. Not sure if that works with glossy.

14. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You should have no problem with FB paper, they take a long time to dry so as long as they are in a tupperware box and straight out the wash they should be fine for 2 hours +. Make sure they are all the same way up ( emulsion : print side up ).

Do not do this with RC prints, especially GLOSS as the water does not penetrate the surface and they can stick together very quickly, especially emulsion side to emulsion side, you can normally get away with it by re-wetting, but its possible you could cause damage.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

15. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If they are not fully washed before you leave for home, make sure they remain wet, as dried fixer cannot be washed out.

16. Stephen Samuels

Stephen Samuels Member

Thanks all for the advice, sounds like a majority in favour of sealed buckets/boxes and maybe some water. Will try the various combinations and see what works best.

Then i can see how i get home if i decide to use the train!!

Appreciate all the help.

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am NOT EXPERIENCED with prints, but unless I'm missing something, can't you just go to Home Depot and have plexiglass sheets cut the same size (or an inch bigger) than the prints then put them in a container with water and stack the prints print/plexiglass/print/plexiglass/etc/etc...

Leaving the container filled with water?

The plexiglass would prevent excess movement and is less pressure than glass, and would keep them stable?

Or am I totally off base here?

Can you also leave them to dry there and go back the next day?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    For a few years I had a remote darkroom. If you put the wet prints in some type of tray with a lid they will not dry out. I did this all the time since I preferred to finish the prints at home. I even would stop on the way and meet friends from time to time. If you are using fiber paper you will have a long time before any problems arise.

In other words, I agree with Simon.

19. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about jobo drums or equal? Wouldnt that work? Just fill em up with water, and go.