Travel Conundrum: What Should I Take?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by nocrop, Mar 25, 2009.

1. nocrop

nocrop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What do you think I ought to do? I own the following: a Nikon FM2n with a 50/1.2 Ai-S; a Canon P with a flaky film advance assembly; a Rolleiflex 6006 and 80/2.8; and a lonely M-Rokkor 40/2. My girlfriend and I will be headed to Malaysia in May/June, both the Peninsula and Borneo.

I would love to take the big Rollei, but there's no way I'll haul that around, as we'll be traveling independently, with minimal gear. The obvious choice is the Nikon, but I'd prefer going yet lighter, so I'm wondering if maybe I ought to get a CL/CLE or a Bessa, etc. I used to own an M6 and I shouldn't have sold it (damn it!). But my money is pouring into this trip, so I don't want to spend more than $500 or so on a body. Ideas?

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Pick up Nikon N65 (N2002) with a 28-85 or some such. Very mobile little camera should fetch for under $100.

3. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Rolleiflex Automat/MX-EVS for
    under $300, and add $200 for a
    new Maxwell or Beattie screen.
    Rugged, light, compact, exquisite
    optics, 6x6 and under budget.

4. nocrop

nocrop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Both good ideas, the first two, though non-RF! I forgot that I also have a Super Ricohflex that I absolutely love, for it is capable of wonderful photos, and many of my favorites were made with the Ricohflex, but its shutter is now unreliable--way sloooow. I was going to take it, and some 120 Ektar and Acros, on this trip. I've always wanted a TLR Rollei. And from my list, you'll see that I don't need but one lens.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  5. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess if I were restricted to your list, I'd take the Nikon.

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contax G1 w/ 35 F2.

you get autofocus, autoexposure if you want, manual if you don't, compact, lightweight, and some of the best optics ever made for 35mm. And a lot less expensive than a CL/CLE. Oh, and don't forget automatic parallax correction in the viewfinder.

7. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One camera, one lens, take your FM2n. All mechanical and good solid centerweighted metering.. If it were me, I'd figure out a way to pack a 28/2.8 in a pocket somewhere.

8. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am afraid that my sugestion would be erased from this forum imediately...........

Peter

9. Scott-S

Scott-S Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    take the nikon and drop the rest.. I lugged my Hasselblad around India, but wouldn't do it again. 35 mm is perfect for travel

10. nocrop

nocrop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to all of you. It looks like the Nikon or a TLR wins.

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had all that stuff, and $500 to spend, I'd get the Canon P totally spiffed up for the trip, and use the remainder for film and processing. It is a very nice and convenient camera to use. That way you use your money to improve what you already have and need to fix some day anyhow, rather than leaving it messed up and piling another camera on top of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  12. nocrop

nocrop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting point. It sort of sickens me that the P lies there unused, but a CLA, and a LTR lens might be expensive. Still, it's a possibility. I could also borrow the VCII I sold to a friend. I've already figured we'll be taking about 75 rolls of 135 film, so that's not in this equation.

13. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Malaysia around May June is ve-ry hot and possibly rainy and humid. Rainy season starts around June and from then onwards it rains everyday but not all day. I too have in my possession a FM2n and a Canon P. If I had to choose between these two, I would pick the FM2n as my travel companion. It is easier to work with in foggy conditions and better sealed against rain and dust. I would leave the MF equipment home. It is a holiday after all.

My recommendation based on my experience from travelling in S.E. Asia would be to buy a couple of good quality compact rangefinders; such as Olympus XA or RC or even Olympus Trip or equivalent cameras and load them with some good film (widely available in Malaysia). Don't forget to take with you some type of light table tripod because you'll soon find yourself taking a lot of pictures in the evenings. A small tripod and self timer will be very helpful.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. nocrop

nocrop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    We'll be visiting Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Khota Baru, and Kuching. And 4-5 days in Pulau Perhentian Besar. I'll probably follow your advice and take the trusty Nikon gear. I will also be following 2F/2F's advice and sending my P to DAG. DAG's quote for a CLA was very reasonable. And I liked how he said my P should be good for another 20 years before the next CLA! Sanders' idea about getting a Rolleiflex TLR was also appealing, but reason prevails, if you consider using film reasonable in this circumstance! Seven weeks and two days to go.

16. fixbones

fixbones Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi nocrop,

I am from Malaysia, Borneo to be exact but currently based in Australia.

Just a suggestion, you might want to consider making a stop in Melaka. It has a really pretty old town with some of its traditional lifestyles still preserved and lots of photographic opportunities.

Lived in Penang for 2 years as well. Good place to visit and lotsa good food. Has a very vibrant old town and Little India. Great for street photography!!!

And also, i'd bring the Nikon =D

17. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've done a lot of travelling with gear - I always take a crazy amount, but I simply accept that I'll be a pack mule and the payback is having what I want when I'm there. There is no worse torture than regretting a shot you could have had...I know from personal experience.

Anyway, if your mind is made up on travelling light, I'd recommend the Nikon FM2. A 50mm 1.2 is incredibly fast and great for some truly outstanding portraits...I'd like to second the recommendation of taking one more lens - either a 28mm or 35mm also. C'mon, unless you're only 60 lb's one little SLR lens is not going to inconvenience you but it will give you so much more flexibility and options in terms of shooting...and regardless of what decision you make, shooting on this amazing trip is one sure thing, right?

Best of luck! I wish you all the best.

18. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still make that mistake from time to time, get there, find the right time and place and not have the equipment I would like.

19. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Along with the stowed 15Kg backpack my last trip I had a hand luggage size Lowepro Camera bag stocked full of 14.5Kg (30 or so lbs) camera gear. On the last two legs I bought 10 sheets of 20x24 Paper, 50 sheets each of 8x10 and 11x14" film which was around another Kg or two by my estimate.

Take the rollei !

20. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I wouldn't take anything that might be unreliable (Canon). I wouldn't take anything that's battery dependant.

I like the idea of the Nikon. I probably would pick up a good folder for portability and the option to shoot medium format, although I generally oppose the idea of taking new gear on a trip unless you're sure that it's not going to be problematic.

21. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would add a 85 or 105 macro mm lens for the Nikon. I know it if was me, I would be taken my Bronica ETRSi 645 system with extra batteries and lots of film.

22. nocrop

nocrop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Damn, Nick! I feel so whiny complaining about hauling a comparative micro-load. And fixbones, I want to go to Melaka, but we're already stretched for time. We're even taking advantage of Malaysia Airlines' promo for foreign travelers: 3 internal flights for $200. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to make it to Borneo.

I will take the FM2n+50/1.2. I will also be bringing a Minolta Autocord that I just bought. Has had a recent CLA. And if my girlfriend's Canon dies, she can use the Nikon. I would love to take two more lenses, possibly the 28/2.8 and the Tamron 90/2.5 SP macro. So un-rangefinderly!

23. KenR

KenR Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Light loads

Perhaps I'm getting old, but my days of hauling 20 lbs of equipment (large format in a backpack) are over. I no longer find it enjoyable to be a "mule" for my photo equipment. On a recent hiking trip to Peru (where we went to 13,000 feet) I used a Bessa R4 with 21mm, 35mm and a 50mm lenses. Generally I take a Mamiya 6 with two lenses if I am hiking or touring at more comfortable altitudes.

24. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

It was heavy and cumbersome especially after the stock purchases - but it was a job so it had to be done, one thing that is an extra consideration is the insurance.

In my neck of the woods cameras over a certain amount need to be listed separately from the main bulk your baggage, it is then made confusing with system cameras where lenses and accessories can be worth more than the camera itself...

I like insurance to make sense from word go and not be an indeterminate bit of paper ready to be argued over after the fact. After about a weeks worth of phone calls to insurance co's I found someone who could reflect back to me my concern and then follow on as to how it could be made to work within the context of their policies... Too many just wanted either to have nothing to do with it or just quickly fudge over the facts and sign me up pronto...

Your Rollei might fall into this category, whereas the cheaper 35mm options may not...

25. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some of my good photos are from 1979, a trip to Norway with Kodachrome and a Rollei 35B, which cost $110 brand new. The three-element Triotar 40mm f/3.5 lens on it won't quicken the pulse of any Summilux aficionados, but it did the trick, zone focus and built-in selenium meter and all. At the time it seemed as good as a complete Hasselblad system; I couldn't afford anything more and I was happy with it. A link:

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Rollei35.html~mainFrame

26. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with 2F/2F get the Canon P fixed and then your ready to roll.

Jeff