Travel with ULF

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bherg, Jun 24, 2006.

1. bherg

bherg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello.

How do you ULF:ers travel with your camera, if you do?

is it safe to get a custom case for the camera? will that be enough protection agains the bagage thro...errhhmm i mean handlers.

Do you take it as hand luggage and pay the over wheigt?

Cheers Johannes

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    By Land Rover, not by air. My 12x15 Gandolfi, in case, with three holders, weighs almost 30 kg (66 lb).

Cheers,

Roger

3. bherg

bherg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

But i have the "problem" that i have to go get the camera, if i choose the 11x14 format. the shipping cost will be the same as a plane ticket .. and i will feel more comfortable with it.

Then i can give my self a weekend to.

Cheers Johannes

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I travel with the 8x10" and smaller cameras, but haven't flown with the 11x14" yet. The 8x10" is small enough to carry on board with lenses, film and accessories, all in an ordinary knapsack designed for laptop computers. I check my tripod in a Tenba TTP case and pack my empty filmholders in my checked baggage.

The 11x14" is too big to carry on board, so I'm thinking of getting a Strebor custom case for it.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Johannes,

To me, ULF ain't as important as a weekend away. If the ULF puts it out of range -- no ULF!

Cheers,

Roger

6. bherg

bherg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

I mean while i go get the camera, There are absolutly NO dealers in sweden for this.

And the shipping cost for a 11x14 would probably cost me as much as a plane ticket to go get it in personal.

Then i can treat me a weekend AND get the camera for the cost of shippment.... :smile:

Cheers Johannes

7. bherg

bherg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

That exactly what i was thinking to.... Would you feel safe with a case and trust it to be left as regular luggage?

Cheers Johannes

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, the only other options are shooting a smaller format or shipping the camera ahead, in which case it still needs a shippable case.

9. Donsta

Donsta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just did a trip to South Africa with an 11x14 Phillips compact. I bought a Parker shipping case which accomodated the camera and 3 holders - that was one sub 50lb piece of checked baggage and I checked the tripod (a CF Gitzo), change tent and other bits and pieces in my other bag. No problems at all - in fact, it's really very little more effort than an 8x10. The camera weighs 16lbs (with a plexi GG which Bruce Wehman kindly made for me), the holders are around 3lbs each and Parker shipping cases are lighter than most. For lenses, I carry a Computar 240mm and a Cooke XVa - the latter with an extra front element: the lenses give me the following focal lengh combinations - 240mm, 311mm, 368mm, 476mm and 646mm - a great range for my needs and really light considering it all functions with only two shutters. I have a handful of 77mm filters and a couple of step up rings and a 77mm wide angle rubber hood. I actually chose 11x14 based on it's portability for travel. 7x17 is equally easy, but anything larger becomes a big headache for airline travel. It's all about planning and effort...

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Johannes,

Oh, dear. I see the problem. Sorry I misunderstood.

LF cameras are pretty tough. A good, foam-rubber-padded case (or lots of bubble wrap) should be adequate protection even against baggage hurlers. Insure it, though, mainly against loss.

Cheers,

Roger

11. Campbell

Campbell Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    When I have too much to carry on the plane (which I almost always do) I've packed an 8x10 wood camera in a hard suitcase, surrounded by lots of clothing, and never had a problem.

12. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

For what Ryan Air is charging for inter european flights right now I'd think about buying your 11x14 a seat of it's own. Just don't let 'er order too many cocktails during the flight---too much stroh rum and bellows cameras get all loosey-goosey.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight.

Cheers!

13. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I carry on my 8x10 and smaller, but the pellican cases are great for such a thing. I would cut a small piece of plexiglass to cover the ground glass.

I have also had an airline employee tell me that I might buy a seat for the 12x20. I kindly refused her offer. :smile:

14. bherg

bherg Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

John .. This will probably be an outside europe trip, with everything payed its going to be several houdreds if not thousands cheaper in the USA so im going to take tourist routs in the big apple.

Robert .. Those pellican casses seems nice, im going to get me one off those when i get the camera,

Thanks for the advices...

Cheers Johannes

15. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Just to put my two cents in I live in Florida and had my 8x20 shipped from vienna (sp). It cost me about 200 to ship UPS. but it got to me in perfect shape and the glass came in without a scratch.