Traveling with photo paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by VoidoidRamone, Jul 7, 2005.

1. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am leaving for NYC this sunday for a summer program; instead of buying all my supplies out there I want to bring as much stuff as I already have. I am used to bringing film on airplanes and getting a hand inspection at security, but I've never traveled with unexposed paper. So if I have 100 sheets or so of b&w and color paper, how would you recommend I get it out there? Can I put paper through the x-ray machines without it getting fogged? Can they do hand-inspections without having to open up the packaging? I assume this would be similar to traveling with sheet film, but I've never done that either. Thanks.
    -Grant

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would mail it. Just mark it photographic materials don't x-ray. This way you don't have to worry about anything. If you do take it with you on the plane then I suggest carrying it on and running it through the x-ray machine. What is B&W paper, like an iso of 6 for paper negs?

3. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you carry it with you and put it through the X-ray machines it will be fine.

4. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just returned from travelling to and around the US and took with me two boxes of 8 x 10 fibre paper which I had to put in my checked luggage due to lack of space in carry on. The paper was perfectly OK despite being passed through at least 5 X ray machines. Paper speed is very slow unlike film.

5. PeterB

PeterB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Les,
    when you say it was OK, how did you assess this? An objective method would be to measure the Dmin using a reflection densitometer of some unexposed+developed+fixed paper.
    regards
    Peter.

6. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made prints and compared the white paper base border to prints made on the same paper before I left England. I did not use a densitometer just a very experienced eye.

7. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Agfa B&W RC paper is marked as 160ISO with the yellow filters, and 80ISO with the magenta filter. I don't know if there is an actual equivalence with film or not, but even if it was, it's slow enough to go through x-rays.