Traveling with pinholes

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by Robert Alderink, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Robert Alderink

Robert Alderink Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I'll be traveling to Colorado early October and hope to take some of my Pintoid (Altoid tin) cameras. Keeping hieghtened airpot security in mind, should I pre-load all my cameras, load them once I get to my destination, load some but leave a couple so that can be opened by security, or not worry about it?

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the Altoid tins have been altered in any way, I'd wait until you arrived at your destination to load.
    My $0.02 worth of advise.
    gene

3. marcello.brussard

marcello.brussard Member

I do no think a pinhole camera will be exchanged for a bomb especially after an rx scan, yet we are living in very odd times and everything is possible (the situation in USA possibly being worse than here in EU). So why risk to be arrested or worse to have your tin camera hand inspected and ruined? Carry a changing bag with you to load and unload the film (or paper) before and after shooting.

Ciao,
    Marcello

4. mark

mark Member

I would not preload. Since you will have film and may ask for a hand expectation everything might be opened. I'ld say load when you get to where you are going. It is not that much of a problem.

How did you make a camera out of an altoid tin? I'm very curious.

5. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My vote is for loading at your destination... Anything to minimize the possible hassles.

Good luck!

joe :smile:

6. PJC

PJC Member

Load your film or paper once you arrive in Colorado. One word of advice is don't plan on a hand inspection when departing Colorado. I live here and have never been granted that courtesy when flying out of Denver's airport (DIA) Regardless of the law, how courteous you are, or phase of the moon, the TSA folks at DIA don't care. Have a great time!

Regards, Pete