TRI-X (135) at EI 800

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Andrew Horodysky, May 3, 2009.

1. Hello All,

I recently shot some rolls of 35mm Tri-X, rated at EI800. May I get some of your recommendations for a developer that would work well at that speed, or what your preferred developer might be, for that matter?

2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When we had to do that (decades ago) we would soup the Tri-X in Acufine or UFG.

3. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shoot trix at 800-1600 and use diafine. It works fine. I just shot two rolls of our church's play at 1600 and the negs came out pretty good.

4. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There are many. D-76 can push to that speed, HC-110 can do it too, and Acufine has been a long standing developer to push process. There are more.

Best to test many to learn which work with your tastes.

5. Thanks, all.

Regarding D-76, have any of you ever used it diluted more than 1:1 (eg. 1:2, 1:3). I've read that there's an apparent "gain" in sharpness. Is this the case, or is diluted D-76 just diluted D-76? There's nothing listed beyond 1:1 on the Massive Development Chart.

6. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    800 isn't really much of a push for Tri-X, and I think lots of options would work well. Some people rate Tri-X at 800 in Diafine, though I think most would put it slightly higher than that. I've had good luck with modest pushes of Tri-X in PC-TEA, using the times given for Xtol 1+2 in the MDC and Anchell & Troop, and gotten negatives that don't have a dramatic "This Film Was Pushed!" look; I assume Xtol itself would give similar results, but can't speak to it from experience...

-NT

7. Thanks, Nathan.

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any of the standard b/w developers should do it just fine. How far you need to push it will depend on the contrast you want. I am fond of this film with D-76 or HC-110. I would just use D-76 1:1 in this case; especially if you already have it on hand.

9. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    D-76, 1:1, 15% additional developing time to start.

10. m_liddell

m_liddell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Diafine hands down - grain is pretty much the same as shot at box speed. Pushing in D76 and xtol has always rendered very high contrast and grainy results.

11. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Diafine is ok if you have it. But like 2F/2F wrote, D-76 will do ok too if you can stand a little more contrast. XTOL is a little better, and you might even like it as your standard go-to developer. Tri-X is good like that. It can take a little abuse and still deliver.

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ilford/ Harman lists times for Tri-X at 800 with DDX. It's a good dev for pushing and less grainy than ID11 IMO so I'd assume less grainy than D76 which to all intents and purposes is the same dev.

pentaxuser

13. Thanks, again, everyone. Very helpful.

14. C A Sugg

C A Sugg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I loved the negatives I got at ASA 800 with Edwal Super-20. Is there anything like that now?