Tri-x and other film recipes?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Jaime Marin, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Jaime Marin

Jaime Marin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently tried tri-x after using hp5 and tmax. I developed stock in D-76 for 6m 30s just as kodak states it to be for the temperature of the dev. However I felt that my negatives didnt come out with as much contrast as I was expecting. As I state before I use D-76 developer. Anyone have any other "recipes", as in times of both Development (and at what temp) and time for Fixing for tri x? Im looking for a good amount of contrast any suggestions?

2. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are unhappy with the amount of contrast you obtain with any particular combination of your camera and lens, your thermometer and your agitation regime, then it would not be unusual for you to experiment with longer development times.

I would suggest trying something like 8 minutes, using the same thermometer, temperature (69F?) and agitation regime that you used in your test.

I'm assuming that your temperature for the test was 69F because the Kodak data sheet for Tri-X recommends 6m 45 sec for the more usual 68F/20C (for hand agitation in small tanks).

4. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you printed it?

Did it print as expected?

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The development time you used was too short.

6. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Contrast is controlled by time in developer, so increase as required.

There is something wrong with what you are doing, weak developer, not enough agitation, thermometer not calibrated. Kodak times are perfect for normal tonal range subjects.

7. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tri-X and D-76 are what I use. With normal development suggested by Kodak the negatives have good contrast. Others above have suggested longer development and I concur. In any case a little experimentation will put you on the right track.

8. LCEL

LCEL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tri-X exposed at 800 ISO developed in Ilford LC29 1+19 at 20 degrees Celsius for 8,5 minutes, agitation 10-12 seconds every minute.

Best regards,
    LCEL.

9. al5256

al5256 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, I had the same problem with D76 1:1 at 20C for 9.45 min. Now I go to 11 min D76 1:1, 290ml total developer in a single tank, 20C, 30 sec initial agitation and 5 inversions for every 30 sec.

10. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format