Tri-X Pan vs. TXP 320 (4x5 size)

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mmcclellan, Jul 31, 2005.

1. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have been using Tri-X Pan (3 v-notches) which Kodak rates at EI 320. I cannot seem to find this film any more, but only TXP 320, which has a different notch pattern, but the same EI.

Are these films interchangeable? Is the "old" Tri-X still made/sold? And, if it is not available any more, will I need to test the TXP 320 for film speed and development times as I did the old Tri-X?

If anyone has any information or experience with this, please let me know. Thanks a million!

2. esanford

esanford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Michael,

Kodak discontinued the old TRI-X, and created a "new" TXP 320 last year... They claim the film is the same... Go to their website and pull down the specs for both the old and new and compare them... Unfortunately, as good photographers, we have to test anything "new" because films don't necessarily behave as the manufacturer's often claim... You know the old adage: Films do what they do. Consequently, you will need to test this film with your personal process before committing it to any critical work. Otherwise, you are leaving too much up to chance...

3. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The new tri-x has a thinner emulsion - it has that red/purple dye in it that takes a lot of washing to get out and the grain is half the size as the old tri-x. For me - exposure, latitude, contrast and development have remained the same. Still good for pyro and it almost rivals TMAX in grain if you develop it in XTOL. I like the new film.