Tri-X Reversal in Dektol test - strange dark areas.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mr.datsun, Feb 19, 2013.

  1. mr.datsun

    mr.datsun Subscriber

    Messages:
    347
    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Location:
    The End of t
    Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I got fed up being methodical for a while, so went straight for Polymax (i.e Dektol liquid) at 1+9. That's paper dev strength - or the equivalent of powdered at 1+2 and gave it 5 mins 1st, 3 mins 2nd dev. That's as copied from a Super 8 technique I've found online. All my other chemical and times were the same.

    Odd dark wide tracks seemingly around areas of light. Check the way they hug the tiny road-cone, lower left. Aside from that, generally still lacks contrast/bite.

    dektol_5m_1+9.jpg
     
  2. mrred

    mrred Subscriber

    Messages:
    1,128
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2009
    Location:
    Montreal, Ca
    Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your marks looks like you need more wash betweed your dev/bleech/clear steps. Try more time in the 1st developer to up the contrast.
     
  3. mr.datsun

    mr.datsun Subscriber

    Messages:
    347
    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Location:
    The End of t
    Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks. That's interesting as I switched to my usual (Ilford) 5,10,20 inversions with water changes for this test. On all the previous tests I was following the 2 minute washing in running water as in the Foma kit instructions.

    Increasing contrast. I'm curious about this. I've been wondering whether, if the development time goes up then I wondered if the positive's shadows also start filling in too, as the positive's image hilights are built up? Or do you think the hilight areas build up more quickly than shadows (in the positive)?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  4. mesantacruz

    mesantacruz Subscriber

    Messages:
    249
    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently tried this 1:9 for 7 min 15 sec (agitate first 15 seconds and 15-30 more seconds of rotations with the paterson spinning stick... then spin for 5 seconds every 30 seconds )... i really liked the results... not to many midtones... i've since tried it once more... with similar results, and then again with a slight variation... which allowed me more midtones... i noticed that the highlights were free of detail when printed as well as the shadows (night scenes)... but during daylight the tonality (or gradation) wasn't smooth. I used fuji acros and was trying to get more 'grain/grittiness' from the film. 120 6x7 acros even with this method produced sharp images as well. I'd give it a go... in the basement its been cold lately and the water temp has been coming out at about 58 degrees and use the water as a stop bath.