Tricolor Bromoil ?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by menglert, Nov 12, 2008.

1. menglert

menglert Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

I've searched the net a little, and found some people noted tricolor bromoil, but have yet to find instructions or a book. Does anyone have a suggestion where to start?

Thanks,
    Martin

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A book by Leadly and Stegmeyer comes to mind. They discuss color bromoil among many other color printing methods. The book is probably out of print by now, it was published in the 40s.

PE

3. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    see if you can find Gene Laughter book "Bromoil 101". He does mention layering colors.

4. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Martin,

Layering colors is quite different from tricolor or 4-color bromoil and gives a totally different effect. The book which PE refers to is "Making Color Prints" by Leadley and Stegmeyer - Little Technical Library, Ziff-Davis Publishing Co. - 1941, and long out of print. I got my copy on ebay. Producing 3 or 4 color bromoil prints is accomplished by the bromoil transfer process using either three or four separate matrices in perfect registration and requires an etching press. In the "good ole days" photo film was used for the matrices and since there was no shrink-swell factor, registration using inked film was a snap! This method, as described by Leadley and Stegmeyer, is no longer possible as film can no longer be used for inked matrices. It won't work! The alternates are to use fiber base "bromoil-friendly" papers and cross your fingers a bit re the registration due to shrink-swell ... or to use RC papers, which is tough, at best. My opinion: it's a quest that "ain't worth it!"

Should you continue on the road to 3 or 4 color bromoil prints, good luck!!!

Cheers,

Gene

5. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gene;

My copy is here somewhere buried under tons of "rubble". :D I bought it new off the shelf in about 1945 or thereabouts. Makes me feel old. :sad:

PE

6. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    We are!!!:tongue:

gene

7. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Might be worth considering 3 or color gum prints. Not really the same look, but they can be manipulated a bit to get interesting prints. Sam Wang and Christine Anderson (?) both have articles on the subject at alternativephotography.com

8. menglert

menglert Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. It seems there is currently not a decent method to produce them, but perhaps in the longer term I'll give it a go nonetheless. Again, thank you.

9. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's not the method that is currently lacking - it's the materials.

Gene

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2008
  10. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Nice to see you posting, Gene.

11. Gene_Laughter

Gene_Laughter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice to be posting! I have dealt with so many challenging health issues over the past year that little time has been available for the internet and photography. Whoever coined the phrase, "growing old ain't for sissies" sure
    nailed it!!!

Gene