Trigger voltage : Any simple cure ?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Smudger, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bought an Achiever 321AZ flash recently which I hoped may suit an impecunious friends Nikon EM.
    Gadzooks ! Trigger voltage of 240 Volts !
    I can strip,clean, and reassemble an iris diaphragm, but I need help with this : can I solder a simple resistor into the base of the hotshoe to give this dear lady a flash she can use to photograph her adopted baby ?
    ( yes,I know about the dangers of charged capacitors,etc.)
    -any input welcome.

2. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wein Safe-Sync.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I also use a Wein Safe-Sync when I hook my Normans up to the camera that dare not speak its name on APUG.

Radio slaves are another option in the studio, but for the on-camera flash a Wein Safe-Sync HS (Hot Shoe) should do the trick.

4. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second (well third in this case :D) the Wein Safe Sync

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    fourth time recomended. Wein, that is.
    No Wein before it's time!

6. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

in addition to the "Safe-Sync", paramount sync cords makes cables that reduce the sync voltage.

However, the EM is an older camera, right? Check the spec's, it may be able to handle the high voltage. I have an old Metz handle-mount flash that I use on an old FE without difficulty. It also works on LF shutters. I know to never use it on any newer cameras, though! If I did a lot of flash work with the LF, I would want to fix this problem. A few high voltage flashes are probably OK. A lot and the sync connections will likely have problems.

Matt

7. Roger Krueger

Roger Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hello?!? It's an EM! Why would you screw around with a Safe-Sync on a mechanical sync camera? There is no problem here.

If you've got extreme pro-level shot volumes AND an unusual flash that pumps out excess current with the high voltage you might get some contact pitting, but that's 100s of rolls a year pro use, not aww-cute-pretty-baby use.

The only cameras with high sync voltage problems are amateur-level TTL bodies. Non-TTL bodies are nearly universally mechanical sync, not electronic, and have no problem. Pro bodies are designed to handle the high voltage.

FWIW I've used 200 volt 283s on a wide variety of manual cameras (Minolta XG-1/XD-11/X-370/Hi-Matic 9, Mamiya Press/RZ), as well as allegedly fragile digitals--a Sony DSC-700, an Oly E-10, and a Canon 1dsII. The XD-11 and E-10 both pulled event duty in their time and had many thousands of frames of 200v sync. No sync switch problems. Ever.

8. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd never recommend using a flash to photograph a baby!!!

Natural light is much more humane than blasting their delicate little eyes with flash.

9. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Save money, buy about 6 rolls of Neopan 1600 for the cost of a Safe-Sync.

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would agree with Nicole.

BTW, we have seen you post a few times, but don't know anything about you. Why don't you post a welcome message in the Introduction section so we can get to know more about you. I've been to Dunedin a few years ago, I came in on the old Southerner, which I guess is no longer running. :sad: I'll be in Christchurch again this coming October, I have a close friend living near Alexandra.

11. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all for your input. I onsold the Achiever to a friend with a Nikkormat FT3, which could probably handle a lightening strike..
    My friend now has a Starblitz 250 BAZ, with a t/voltage of 6.8volts, which she will use in bounce mode for the little one's eyes.
    Roteague : I'll put something together as you suggested. And,yes,the Southerner is no more,sadly.
    Regards,
    Ian

12. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I found a website with a circuit diagram for a slave flash trigger thing, and it also doubled as a simple 'plug flash in here, plug camera in here' voltage reducer thingy... I got all the bits and a breadboard (circuit prototyping thing for those who dont know) ...

took about a week of phoning and waiting in traffic in lunch time to get all the correct bits - anyways

didn't werk

still on the shelf...

I had used my older Metz 45 CT with my Mamiya RZ often enough before I was made aware of its voltage issue - no problems - but I have started using my newer not as powerful yet safe 45CL (boring story) with my RZ just out of caution.. the CT does my Holga proud

If your a keen electronographer gizmo whatsit maker I can find the diagram again if you like :wink:

and also, hello from Auckland !

Nick

13. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Flash and babys

I agree with Nicole, some nice soft natural light takes some beating, as far as I understand flash won't damage a babys eyes, but it's not ( as we all know) ideal, especially stuck on top of the camera, maybe you could give your friend some advice Smudger.

15. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I've checked it earlier - its a baddy - my CL is fine tho, except the reflective chrome behind the lens has been eaten/blown away at some stage and I'm getting only half the reflection and therefore its more a 31 CL or something - wish I could combine the two good points of each for the two bad points - end up with one perfect metz and another not so

16. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Might think about some chrome paint in the reflector. Krylon has some pretty good stuff.

17. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rock - re your flash reflector..

I have a roll of chrome metallic mylar adhesive tape which would be ideal for refurbishing your flash reflector.
    e/m me if you'd like a strip..
    Regards, Ian.

18. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The mylar tape sounds like a good suggestion BUT you need to discharge the main capacitor before you start playing with the flash tube area.
    You can disharge the cap with a 100 ohm 10 watt resistor across the flash tube. You should also check the voltage to eliminate any surprises.
    It won't kill ya, but you may want to pause for a moment after you've discharged it through you arm.

20. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hmmm, I thought of opening it and having a look see once upon a time when I found some chrome paint at work.. but I have a great track record of opening working things and putting them back together dead - the upshot is tho, that on occasion I will open a dead item, find nothing and find it working upon screwing it back together (; I've got a few too many projects on the go at the mo' but I will do it one day - cheers for the offers! and the advice re. the discharge ...

21. jerry lebens

jerry lebens Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I'm not familiar with your output unit - does it have a ir reciever? If so just get another cheap flash gun and filter it with the deep red & deep green filters from a Rosco filter swatch - that should be an adequate ir "transmitter" (I don't know why the green, but that's what I found when I dismantled an old Bowens ir trigger, I guess they should know what theyre doing).

As for flashing a baby's eyes - don't use direct lighting, diffuse & reflect to soften the effect and lessen intensity.