Trip to England

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Thomassauerwein, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Karen and I are planning a trip to England in September or October. We are looking for coastal communities and castle ruins. Any suggestions for: places to go, Places to stay and people to see would appreciated. We will be there three weeks.
    Thank in advance.

Tom

2. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom,

I live in the border country of England and Scotland where there are many castles on both sides of the border and some of the best coastline in the UK. Email me direct so that we can organise something for you. My email les.mclean1@btopenworld.com

3. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I'd totally agree with Les - forget England, and head North.

I now live on the south coast, and coastline is BORING. I grew up near Newcastle so I'm rather based, but the north east coastline is fantasic. I got some great shots when I was back at xmas, without really trying (and if you're in Newcastle you've got to do the bridges).

Start in Tynemouth (the Priory ruins overlooks the river mouth), and then just head North along the coast into Scotland - you can't really help tripping over a castle or two.

Ian

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    BORING!!! We don't have BORING coastlines in England, only different ones! Scotland of course is a completly different matter.

5. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Given that my family is from Llanfihanngel-geneur-glynn, Cardigan, I too am biased. Look at the stuff David Hurn shot in Wales, then do something different :smile:

(And you thought "Bjorke" was a mouthful! Ample proof that Elven is derived from Welsh (or Cornish -- though I suspect it's the origin of the language of Mordor))

KB
    (Currently trying to decide between Sept trips to Grenoble or Beijing)

6. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    We have some great coastal landscapes in the south east of england too - especially around south and east kent and sussex - and all a short drive from London. Let me know if you are planning on coming this way and I'll give you a few specific locations - maybe will be able to act as tour guide - you never know!

Mind you - I've just got back from a week in Cornwall - and there are some amazing coastal landscapes there - especially on the North coast.

Enjoy your trip.

7. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks leon, It looks like we are in good hands, Between you and Les we'll have two sides of the country covered. We know what we want to accomplish while there but are still working on how and where we going to do it. So I will contact you as the time draws nearer hoping that we can at least have a "spot of tea".

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thomas,
    I'm curious how far along you are with your website-building skills (I remember that you were teaching yourself). I have been looking forward to an update to your site for quite some time now with many of the images that you post here so that I can re-browse them and others where we only got to see a polaroid test shot. I expect this to be done before you go to England or else I'm sending Michael over to bodycheck you :smile:

Just curious when we could a new gallery or two of your fantastic (both in a sense of wonderful quality and my own wonderment with the subject matter) images

9. bmac

bmac Member

I'm with Jeremy, I think its time for Thomas to be the next featured member on this site.

10. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm working on it guys, I have a guy writing a program for my computer and creating pages that I can do my own work with. We are also adding pages for custom portraiture, street shooting Platinum prints and my paintings.

The year was supposed to start slow work wise but my clients moved the work up so I've been chasing the money stuff more than the personal stuff. After next week the crunch will end for a couple months.

I'd say we are six weeks from having everything up and running.

Thanks for asking.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brian,
    it has been a while, but I thought that Thomas has already been a featured member. Before Cheryl if I remember correctly (too much whiskey and not enough sleep... I could be wrong)

12. bmac

bmac Member

oops, you're right ehehe

13. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife, a brit, recomends Tintagel in Cronwall for King Arther's castle as well as Cadbury Castle in Summerset (also near by). The southwest coast is very beautiful and you won't be too far from Robert White Photo.

14. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    EXACTLY what we are looking for! Thank you.

16. PaulH

PaulH Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you are interested in Wales, this link has tons of stuff.

http://www.castlewales.com/home.html

I am going to be in London and Wales in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone knew where to see any Frederick Evans prints?

17. roy

roy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try the print room at the Victoria and Albert Museum, Kensington.

18. elammm

elammm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Coastal, I'd suggest Folkestone, Then Again, Its About Of A Sh*thole, You Can Only Get Good Pics Of Stuff If You Know Where To Look, Look At My Blog (In Signature) To See A Few...

19. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second going to Cornwall in the South West... On your way, you can make a pilgrimage to Lacock Abbey Where Fox Talbot made his famous shot of the Oriel Window. On the way to Lacock Abbey is Silbury Hill, Avebury and Stonehenge. Further down to the south and west is Glastonbry Tor... Another great site to see.

20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This thread is from 2004 :D

Ian

21. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes I was just going to say the same. I think Thomassauerwein has been back from holiday for quite a long time !

22. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amazing how these things take on a life of their own, rising from the dead like zombies. For those interested in the topic at hand, though, there are some lovely ruined castles and coastline in the north of Wales - from Aberystwth to Caernarvon to Beaumaris and on around to Conwy. And while you're in the neighborhood, you can stop by the little town with the longest name in Europe, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, or Llanfair PG for short, and get a picture of yourselves in front of the town name at the railway station.

23. elammm

elammm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Fault, Ohwell welcome to come back on holiday to the U.K anytime again >.< haha