Tripod / ballhead for RZ67 + AE Prism?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ratboy, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Ratboy

Ratboy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As the title suggests, I am looking for a new tripod/ballhead combo. I prefer a lighter set to backpack with, and my budget is 500-600. Any suggestions?

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the MLU, an RB or RZ has a very gentle shutter release. You don't need to go too heavy duty, even though the cameras are a bit big. I'd get a good solid head, like a 3047, and worry less about the legs; almost any set of quality legs will do. I would also buy used. Tripods depreciate greatly, and quickly. I got each of my Bogens (3036 and 3051, the really solid ones) wit 3047 heads in near mint condition for under $200 each. That is about 30 percent of their new prices with heads. If you buy used, maybe something lighter, like a 3030 or 3021, which are easy to carry, you are looking at spending probably under $150.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  3. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I travel I use a Gitzo carbon-fiber tripod with their magnesium ball head. The tripod has three leg sections. I've had it for several years so I don't know the equivalent model # now. I'm sure it is out of that price range but there are other brands with similar characteristics. The point is that I use it with a Hasselblad and up to a250mm lens with no problem. The tripod and head weigh about 4 maybe 5 pounds together. Folds to under 24 inches and supports 15 - 20 pounds.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

4. dande

dande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Manfrotto is awsexome

I put out an add locally and managed to pick up a Manfrotto tripod with ballhead for only $60. They are usually selling around 2 or 3 times that price. It is perfect for my needs, including backpacking. The tripod is a 055 and the head is 168. It may be a bit heavy for you but it is more that stable enough for my RB67.

5. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Feisol CT-3401 with a Arcatech ballhead--its a light solid set up. The Feisol is a very well made solid well priced tripod sold by a site sponser ReallyBigCameras.com

6. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gitzos are very lightweight and sturdy. Even their aluminium tripods are very light, compared to others.

7. Ratboy

Ratboy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the responses. My circle of friends are not photographers, so it's hard to find examples of gear to get a hold of to play with.