Tripod for Deardorff question?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by kjsphoto, Apr 21, 2006.

1. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I am looking for a new tripod, used actually and was told to look at the RIES ones. Is a J100 enough or is the a A100 the way to go?

I am not going larger than 8x10 as that is good enough format for me.

Thanks,

kev

2. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hey Kev.
    I've been told the A100 Ries is the best way. But, I've fudged and used my J100 with the 250 head and that works as well and I have been using a Gitzo rig to hold up my Deardrof as well.
    So in a way. Yes to both Ries but I would say the A100 for safety sake.

3. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Kev,

You may want to also consider the Ries J1002. It weighs 3 pounds more than the J100 but 2 pounds less than the A100 and supports 25 pounds.

I purchased one of the earlier H100 tripods for my Linhof Technikardan 45S. I talked it over with Keith at Photo Plus East when I purchased it and Keith thought that it would be strong enough (this was many years ago). Even though I have the Ries, I usually use my Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripods.

When I was looking at the Canham DLC45 at Photo Plus East this past October, Keith Canham had his cameras loaded on the Ries Tripods and shared the booth with Ries. He mentioned to me as aside, even though he liked the Ries tripods, he generally put his Canhams when he used them on the Carbon Fiber Gitzos (I believe due to the Gitzo weight and strength).

Talk to Keith at Ries if you want his guidance.

The other possibility are the Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripods in the 1300 and 1500 series. They should be strong enough. But you would need to use some care due to the weight of the tripod.

Rich

4. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    What head then?

I ahve a gitzo tripod not a carbon fiber one but a 1410 that I love. But I have a kirk ball head. When I was shooting 4x5 and MF it was fine but now with the 8x10 I am gettign vibration.

What head to you recommend?

Thanks,

Kev

5. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Kev,

Having never shot anything larger than a Linhof Technikardan 45S, I can not say for sure.

Which Kirk head are you using? I presume that you are using the BH1.

When I got my new Gitzo 1257 LVL in trade for photos with Bogen, I purchased the new Markins M20 Ball head (I got the head without the QR). I purchased a 2.5" Kirk QR for the Ball Head. I know that the Markins M20 which is smaller than the Arca B1 Ball or the Bogen BH1 and is supposed to be able to have a load capacity of 90 pounds (2 pounds more than the Arca B1). My Markins M20 with the Kirk QR weighs only 20.4 oz. It is available in a left and a regular (r) version. It can be purchased from Nikonians or Markins America. Here is the Markins America link for the complete head and QR:

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/M20.php

Markins has a demo of it supporting a Nikon 800mm lens on the site.

It should be strong enough. The only questions are the vibration and is it OK for adjustments of such a large camera.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2006
  6. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    The problem I am having now with the head is the vibrations. Yes it is the BH1 head. It is great for up to 4x5 but now with the larger camera is just isnt working out.

I never thought about the head adn tripod combo before I got the camera. Bummer...

7. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kevin

How tall are you ?

8. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Kev,

You may be experiencing vibrations between the tripod head and the tripod, not the tripod QR and the camera.

Markins has been making real efforts to limit vibrations in their tripod heads and other equipment. You may wish to send an e-mail or call them. They are in British Columbia, Canada.

Both Markins and Kirk Photo have been making special platforms as a modification for some of the Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripods. The platforms attach to the tripod and the center columns are removed. As far as I know neither company makes such a platform for the Gitzo 1410 aluminum tripod however.

Rich

9. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    All right, call me anal retentive if you must. I've edited the thread title...

10. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

I've got both. IMHO the A100 (mine is actually a pre A-100) is the ideal for an 8x10 but the J is the way to go if you're taking your 'dorff hiking any great distance from the car or sking. HU-AH!

11. p krentz

p krentz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like I mentioned to another guy, you might try Ray Morgenweck at Star Camera Company, he just made me a tripod for my 16 lb. B&J 810, it is a well built plain jane that looks very good. Cost $165 plus shipping. Pat

12. agGNOME

agGNOME Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I tried to check the link out but got this message;

Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

14. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hey Kev,

We have talked about tripods before, and I think you should take my suggestion and go for the Ries Model-A with A-200 head. The combination of the wooden tripod which dampens vibration, and the large head...you will never have ANY movement or vibration of your camera. I don't know if your ever planning to shoot larger, but you might regret limiting yourself to the smaller tripod, and at some point needing something larger.

My old Ries is from the 40's (maybe abit older), and still has over 100 years left in it. I can promise you that a Ries will be the last tripod you ever need to purchase.

Both Ansel Adams and Edward Weston used Ries Tripods, so you know they were good! :smile:

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

15. agGNOME

agGNOME Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, Kevin. Just tried the direct link and it brought me to the site. There aren't any examples of the custom tripods, but it was neat to check out the cameras they build. Cameron

Just found a bit of info. on the tripods under "wet plate equipment" and "price list"

16. bob01721

bob01721 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very interesting! There are pics of his pods on the camera pages—supporting his cameras.

17. agGNOME

agGNOME Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    oops, should have figured