Tripod for Hasselblad

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by thegman, Dec 12, 2010.

1. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A simple question: What's a good tripod for a Hasselblad? I'm after portable/lightweight, but able to hold the heavy camera.

I'm looking to spend not much more than $200/£150. Thoughts?

Thanks

Garry

2. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can compromise on the weight, I use a Manfrotto 3021B Pro, which isn't very lightweight, but fits your price range and is sturdy enough for my Hasselblad. Even with a head you can probably come in close to $200.

-Laura

3. bmasonoh

bmasonoh Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'll second the above. It's aluminum so not very light. But it is built well and priced right.

4. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's the same as the Manfrotto 055 which is tripod enough for 6x6 cameras that aren't flipped around much. I use one for a Bronica SQ-B and Mamiya RB 67 with no problems. If you're on the short side, a Manfrotto 190 would also work.

5. Dave Swinnard

Dave Swinnard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an old Leitz Tiltall with no issues. With the square format I don't have to tilt it for verticals obviously so the camera sits centered over the tripod. I've had no issues with lenses upto the 250mm.

6. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto

7. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use the least expensive Feisol from Kerry Thalmann. You will not do better for the price and Kerry is a great guy to deal with. I have the smaller Kirk head on it and it is a nice combo. If $200 includes head, then the Manfrotto tripods mentioned are the best bet.

Mark

8. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Manfrotto 055 CLB
    for my Hasselblad here, no problems at all, yet, isn't that lighweight, but very solid and sturdy.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My initial thoughts are if you want a easily transportable, lightweight, stable tripod suitable for a medium format SLR you're going to have to be prepared to pay much more for it than £150 - $200 for it.

10. Paul Green

Paul Green Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Manfrotto 055, heavier than what you want but it will keep your camera secure.

11. redrockcoulee

redrockcoulee Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Manfrotto 190 seems more than sturdy enough for the Hasselblad. I normally use the 055 except when it is in use or am in need of a smaller, lighter tripod such as travelling by air.

12. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And why would that be? What's your recommendation within the OP's price/weight constraints?

13. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is stable/sturdy enough. I use one with Hassy and lens up to 150mm on a 486 ball head. With bigger lenses it might not work so well.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no specific recommendation, what I was saying was that the O.Ps expectations for the price he stated were unrealistic, there are several Carbon Fibre ones in the Gitzo and manfrotto range that would be suitable for his requirements, but not within his price constraints.

16. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's what I thought. For those who actually use them with the equipment described, aluminum Manfrottos like the the small 190 or the larger 055 hit a sweet spot for stability/price/weight. I use several Manfrottos including the older CarbonOne 440--lighter but less stable than the 055.

17. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using a Manfrotto 055 Aluminium tripod for about twenty three years and Although I agree it would be fine for a Hasselblad at about 14 1/2 pounds without a head in no way is it lightweight to me, but it depends what the prospective purchaser considers to be lightweight, but I still maintain that really lightweight,transportable and stable tripods are expensive

18. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tiltall. Been using a leitz tiltall for close to 20 years now with a variety of camera. I've used others too of course. I actually think pretty highly of the new tiltalls too as they come with a carrying bag and can turn into a monopod.

19. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    14.5 lbs? :confused:

20. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you pre release the mirror you can use just about any tripod you like with a Hasselblad (unless it is very windy)

21. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look at the Manfrotto and also the Feisol models. There is a Jessops carbon fibre model which looks good, and it's cheap, so I'll check that out too.

22. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have three tripods that all work with a Hasselblad - a Bogen that also can take a 4x5, an old faithful Tiltall from when they were Leitz and a lightweight Gitzo carbon fiber. What was not mentioned was what lenses are to be used on the camera. If you are going very long a heavier tripod is necessary. My Gitzo can handle up to a 250mm lens with a cable release but not in a strong wind.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com

23. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can any of these be bought for around $200, and are they lightweight and stable, because that's what the O. P specified in the original post ?

24. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Manfrotto 190. Works great. I have a 486 ball on it, which is generally the limitation in stability as weight goes up.

25. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Benjiboy's going to love this one. ;P
    Bogen 3001 with a 3030 fluid head on it.
    If you're not using 30&40mm or greater than 250mm it works fine. It's not going to be Gitzo like. Who cares.
    The legs weigh 4 lbs are less than 21" collapsed and stands 46" w/o the center column. ctr column is about 9" long. Add another 4-5" for a head and you're under $200. and most likely under 6.5 lbs. Cut the excess column off and you save another 1-2oz. The base is about 37" per side. so it's pretty stable
    This assumes a Waist level finder. With a 45 degree prism finder it's OK. With the 90 it's not so fine.

26. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I rest my case.