Tripod mount nut - el cheapo way for DIYers

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by q_x, Sep 4, 2009.

1. q_x

q_x Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Good news!
    I've discovered today that 120 film roll can be used as a tripod mount nut - you can put the screw into the roll top/bottom holes with moderate to high force (the cross-type rolls are lighter (Ilford?), than the single-slit ones (Agfa?) are tough, there is something like 0,5 mm to carve with the tripod screw).

Just sharing the idea.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
  2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I replaced the tripod nut in an old crown graphic with a 1/4-20 flange nut meant for assembling particle board furniture - a whole $0.63 from the home depot, and about 2 hours of fiddiling to get the camera apart and back together after taking out the old stripped one, and filing the top flange of the new one to accomodate where the OEM screws want to hold it in place.

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have done the same, Mike, with my 4x5 Korona, which someone had apparently tried to carry on the end of a tripod (as Art would say, "it wasn't me!"). This caused a) the shearing off of the factory brass hardware, and subsequently b) the sale of the camera to me, in very rickety condition as you can imagine. And, I suppose c) my refurbishment of same (which entailed a lot of joinery) with the addition of the installation of a modern T-nut from the hardware store - the same size as mentioned above. Works like a champ by the way. If you need a longer barrel,you can get them from Rockler Woodworking (online). I found the standard length to work quite well.

- Randy