Tripod question

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bluedog, Mar 11, 2008.

1. bluedog

bluedog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can I use my Manfrotto professional tripod currently used for 35mm camera for a RB67? Or, do I require a bigger mounting plate?
    Thanks
    Greg

2. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Which model do you own? If the tripod is heavy enough it will be fine for medium format.

3. bluedog

bluedog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Model is ART 190, head #141RC if that is any help. It has a quick release pad about 5.5 x 4.5 cm which remains attached to camera body.

4. Gary Holliday

Gary Holliday Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My best advice is to try it out if possible in case anything on the tripod head obstructs access to camera functions such as loading film etc.

5. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Promaster 6400 that I use with my Mamiya M645j. It is a lighter (35mmish) tripod but it does well with the Mamiya. I find, though, that on vertical shots, if I'm not looking, the lens likes to slide down a bit so an adapter would anchor it in place. My GAS has subsided due to monetary restraints but I would get an adapter. It's on my rebate GAS list.

6. CraigH

CraigH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Bogen 3221 tripod & a 3047 head for my 35mm & RB67.

Craig

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    In general, the higher you raise the center column for the head, the less stability you have. The same can be true with leg extensions.

If you think the tripod is a bit lightweight (not to be confused with light in weight), try not to extend the legs or center column to their maximum.

8. dferrie

dferrie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use the 141RC with both my 35mm kit and my Mamiya M645j without any problem, I keep meaning to buy another quick release plate so I can leave it attached to the Mamiya as I rarely hand hold it.

9. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have use the Bogen RC2 QR plate for all my cameras 35mm, Mamiya 645, C330, RB-67, and 4X5. It has worked for years, I feel the camera could be a little more stable (4X5 and Rb-67) but all my pictures have been very sharp even in long exposures (1-15seconds). I use the 468 ballhead on a 3001 tripod. I might upgrade to the 488 ballhead but I,ll keep the RC2 QR plate because I have so many, I also might upgrade the tripod for the larger camera but I never get around to it.

I think the plate you are talking about is the RC2 plate

10. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Basically I would say if your concern is with merely accepting the camera body onto the tripod then you should have no problems. As to the stability of the tripod, I always drape the strap of my camera bag over the recess in the head of my tripod to lend added stability. There are other ways as well. But as to fit and function, go for it.