Tripod Sling

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by EASmithV, May 19, 2009.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do you usually carry your tripod? I don't feel safe by slinging my 'pod with my 8x10 on it over my shoulder, and if I'm going to carry it separately, how do I go about doing it?

2. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I pack up my 4x5 gear after each photograph and cradle the tripod (a Zone VI 'lightweight' which runs about 9 pounds) in my arms. I find if it gets propped against the top of my pack sacks waist belt, the belt carries some of the weight. It's too big to lash on my pack because it gets hung up on branches so that leaves me with few choices, but I suffer gladly because I like it so much. I find it serves other purposes when it's handy, such as a support while crossing creeks or going up or down steep slopes.

Murray

3. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I usually have one of three packs with me. Two of them are Lowepro and they have a system for attaching my tripod pretty securely. The third is a regular backpack that has loops on the bottom. It works ok since my tripod is relatively small, but it can catch on trees/bushes if I'm on a narrow trail.

4. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stopped attaching the tripod on my Lowepro backpack, as the weight was way too of-balance (far behind my back). I now carry the tripod on one shoulder, without the camera as it does not feel secure nor balanced to have the pod + my tachihara to carry that way.

5. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's a Manfrotto tripod, Manfrotto makes a custom shoulder strap which works well, though a top-heavy tripod (because of the head, for example) can cause some unbalancing. If that's so, Manfrotto also make a carry-along strap, so you carry the tripod beside you like you might carry a suitcase. OpTech also makes excellent tripod portage straps but I'm not sure of there availability in the UAE.

I don't recommend attaching a tripod to your backpack; it adds a lot of unstable weight, catches on vegetation, can bump people behind you and is a general hindrance.

6. Kvistgaard

Kvistgaard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps turn a top-heavy tripod upside down while carrying it?

I use a padded strap from a discarded camera bag to carry my tripod around, usually just slinging it over the shoulder. Works well, even with a (smallish) Lowe backpack on my back.

7. jfdupuis

jfdupuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got nice 5" wide strap from an army store that I use as a shoulder strap for my tripod. I cross my tripod and shoulder bag so weight is more balanced. Tripod's head is kept down. Very comfortable and quick.

8. funkpilz

funkpilz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a relatively small Manfrotto tripod that I carry around in my hand (the legs are padded), but I'm guessing my opinion doesn't really matter here cause I've never shot 8x10 :tongue:

9. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My Manfrotto 055 has a ring for the strap of my guitar-case.
    Works good.

Peter

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I carry it with a strap, usually head down. I'm currently using a Kinesis strap for my large tripod.

11. rmann

rmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When possible - I use a jogging stroller to "carry" tripod, camera & gear - I would rather push than carry.

12. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a Manfrotto. I have a 055XB, and I have a 410 geared head.

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Optech make a couple of Neoprene tripod straps that are very good .

14. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm a little curious about this statement. If someone bumps into my tripod while its attached to my LowePro backpacks, it means that they've just run over me.

I don't find the excess weight (~3 lbs) unstable at all.

15. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I attach a 6+ pound tripod to the side of my backpacks all the time. As long as it's a decent back with a waist belt and you tighten everything up properly it doesn't make you any less stable.