Tripod's in Prague Ok?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Solarize, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Solarize

Solarize Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm taking a short break in Prague from Tuesday. I plan on doing some long exposure work with an ND10 filter, but wanted any advance warning on tripod regulations over there. Will I get hounded by police/officials and will carrying a tripod make it difficult to get into any historic buildings?

Any must see recommendations would be much welcomed too!

Thanks,
    Ciaran

2. frdrx

frdrx Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As everywhere in the world, you might not be allowed to take tripod
    shots inside certain buildings like churches, museums or galleries,
    but they'll usually let you in with it. There are no regulations
    today. There had been attempts to impose restrictions on the use of
    tripods on Charles bridge, but they have met with resistance from the
    public. Just use your common sense and don't block the flow of herds
    of tourists in narrow places, and nobody will harass you for using
    your tripod.

3. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I just came back from Prague, and I had this funny experience (not including tripod, but ...): In a big old church, with an entrance fee, there was lots of signs saying: do NOT photograph!. The custodian (the man I bought the ticket from) looked at my camera (Rolleiflex SL66E) and said: "You can photograph!"...

So it might also be about what other gear you're using?

Analouge camera gear seems to get away with more than the digital ditto..

(It's not the first time I have had this experience..)

Have a NICE trip - I am going there again in a month's time..

4. frdrx

frdrx Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps he thought that you must be a serious artist and didn't want to prevent the creation of a masterpiece.

5. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In most places flash light is hated more than tripods, esp around art.
    And now aday's with a camera in each cellphone how can they stop people taking photo's ?

Peter

6. hughitb

hughitb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you feel like doing some nerdy camera browsing/shopping then there is a camera shop off Wenceslas Square which has the largest selection of new and used film cameras and associated stuff I have ever seen in my life. Check it out. Twas the first time I laid eyes on such exotica as a Hasselblad, a Large Fomat camera, a folding camera and so on .....

7. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tell yourself MUST LEAVE CREDIT CARD IN HOTEL ROOM :D

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am sure that your tripod will work in Prague. Just do not block the free flow of people or traffic.

[Sorry, I could not resist!]

Steve

9. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I first saw this, I thought Prague, OK was Prague, Oklahoma on State Highway 99.

I wondered who would be concerned about a tripod in that small town. :smile:

Mike

10. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was going to say. There's a one horse town if I ever saw one. It would be best to get permission from everyone in town, just to CYA. :wink:

11. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Using a tripod in Prague is no problem as long as you don't interfere with traffic (either people or cars). I used my Flexaret there and had a few older people approaching me to chat about the camera as they used the same all those years ago. They were so pleased to see a young guy use a camera like that in this digital age.

Be sure to pay a visit to Skoda Photo, they are located in the street called Vodickova, it's a street that connects with Václavské Námtestí square. It's a big photo store with a nice part of old camera's (which you can buy) and a good range of film (also rollfilm). The Staff speaks a little English but not much. These are the guys who hooked me up on Foma Film, got a roll for free when I bought a Flexaret III there, I was lost on Foma after that.

12. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My experience in other countries BUT the USA, tripod use is OK and isn't subjected to the same level of hassle. The only people that approached my in Prague, did so to ask about my yellow Hasselblad, my photography, talk about their own photography experiences, even the local law enforcement. I've come to learn that asking about certain subjects on any internet board, even APUG, is usually a crap shoot. You're getting what people experience, not exactly what is the law or what is the right thing to do. Ask me if one can jay walk in NYC, my answer is sure, but the law is otherwise. If you really want to know, ask the Prague city government first via the internet and then ask about local customs. Have fun, post lots of pics into the gallery.

Regards, Art.