Tru Vue/Other Glass Suppliers

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by JustK, Jan 11, 2006.

1. JustK

JustK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Greetings!

Does anyone know of a glass supplier from which I can order pre-cut 16" X 20" sheets? I did a search and only came up with Light Impressions and their Tru Vue product. And other companies like American Frame, (which seems to have the best deal on frames!), sell only acrylite. Thanks for any help!

Cheers, Krystyna

2. PaulH

PaulH Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Krystyna,

I just go to my local glass store and have him cut regular window glass. As long as it is in a frame it appears clear.

Paul

3. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can supply pre-cut museum quality clear glass for your framing needs.

How much glass are you looking for?

Drop me a note on what type of glass you need and other details you feel you need to disclose and I will see what I can do.

Paul, certain types of glass, can reacte with the print, as well as certain flaws can detract from the print.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

4. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dave,

Any chance you are a distributor of Spectrum glass? It might be nice to have an APUG sponsor source for 1009S black cathedral glass cut to size for making ambrotypes.

Joe

5. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Krystyna,

If your needs are not above window glass quality I agree with Paul. I go to the window glass provider less than two miles from home. He supplied twenty two pieces of window glass 16x20x1/8th", @ $6.25 each, last year for a show and fourteen pieces this year, 22x28x1/8" @ $9.75 each. He said he could get non reflective glass if I were willing to pay the price.

I expressed fear at moving big sheets of glass around. He delivered to the house and carried the sheets into the room where I was framing. He is a bachelor who has built his business on service. There was no addition fee for freight. He has fallen in love with our lady Labrador Retriever and has suggested I work harder to get more shows so they can visit. Love is a many splendored thing. He even asked if he could come to my show even if the dog didn’t attend. *

John Powers

* Results may vary in neighborhoods where dogs are not permitted or vendors suffer from allergies. My wife says that cookies can work miracles.

6. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a discount art supply store not far from my house ("Prizm"?) that sells 16x20 sheets for less than $4 each. It appears to be standard window glass, packed in cardboard and shrink-wrapped. I find it easy to move around, and always keep a few pieces at the house for last minute framing jobs. They also carry 8x10 and 11x14...I don't know the brand name but can find it if it's important to you. The glass I've bought (probably 30-40 pieces each year) has never had distortions that were noticeable.

I've not bothered looking for a supplier on line because I can't imagine that shipping glass would be less expensive than the short trip to the store for me. And if they're out, there's a Michael's nearby that carries the same brand of glass for about 10 cents more per sheet.

7. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like everybody has ya covered, I only suggested that I could get it because I am a glass manufacture, but it sounds like there is more than enough with good ideas that you won't need me to supply it, unless of course it is ground LOL

Dave

8. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While we are on the subject, I'm trying to find a supplier for Tru-Vue Optium Museum (acrylic). I can get Tru-Vue Museum (glass) from Rosen Paramount here in New York, but so far the acrylic version has eluded me. Great stuff.

Thanks,
    Helen

9. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Prizm has four branches and is quite good for many art supplies.
    My wife buys much of her water color "stuff" there.

John Powers

Cleveland:
    5688 Mayfield Road
    Lyndhurst, OH 44124
    440-605-9434
    440-605-0324 Fax
    Email: store80@prizmart.com

Pittsburgh:
    4768 Mcknight Road
    Pittsburgh, PA 15237
    412-630-4370
    412-630-4377 Fax
    Email: store82@prizmart.com

Columbus:
    1270 E.Powell Road
    Lewis Center, OH 43035
    614-841-4540
    614-841-4086 Fax
    Email: store81@prizmart.com

Indianapolis:
    NOW OPEN
    8607 Allisonville Road
    Indianapolis, IN 46250
    317-598-1379
    317-598-1446 fax
    Email: store83@prizmart.com

Hours of Operation
    Monday - Friday 10am to 8pm
    Saturday 10am to 6pm
    Sunday 12am to 5pm

10. JustK

JustK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Greetings, and thanks for all the suggestions, I didn't even think about how much the shipping would cost, so I'll definitely look for a local glass supplier, I am starting to go public with my photography, and it will be good for me to have a dozen frames ready to go, it's amazing how many little local shows there are, I bought four ready-made frames last fall and thought that would be enough! again... thanks, APUG is awesome!

Blessings, Krystyna

PS Hi PaulH! Hope to see you at the next NEAPUG gathering on March 25! I still have the postcard you gave us from your 2001 show, and I enjoy looking at it and remembering the photos you shared at our last gathering!

11. JustK

JustK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PS2 John P - can I borrow your dog? sweet story!

12. JustK

JustK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Update:

I found a local frame shop that will sell me Tru Vue Conservation Clear 16" X 20" sheets at $9.32 each, a savings of over $5 from Light Impressions and no shipping charges.

So thank you all for suggesting I look around, I enjoy giving local folks my business, and saving money at the same time.

Krystyna

13. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Helen

We use EMPlastics in Toronto for conservation plexi. There number is 1-416-665-6111 , they may be able to help you out with product info and as well lead you to a supplier in your area.

14. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bob.

We tried EM Plastics, and they had a very helpful attitude. Unfortunately none of their suppliers offered Optium Museum or any other anti-reflective acrylic. Like most of the other people I've spoken to, they weren't aware of the existence of anti-reflective acrylic and assumed that I meant 'non-glare'. I've tried the manufacturer on numerous occasions, but have never managed to get through to Tru-Vue's Distribution Manager, and she's never returned calls. I'm only trying to buy a thousand dollars worth, so maybe it's too trivial to bother with.

Best,
    Helen

15. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Krystyna, you can order a box of "Premium Clear" 16x20 Tru vue glass, 23 sheets (50 sq ft.), for about $60 through your local glass supply store.
    Jon Shiu
    Elk, CA

16. synthetase

synthetase Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi helen,

i have friends who work in framing.
    one supplier they use is united manufacturers.

United Picture Framing Supply Co. - 101 N. 55th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85034, Phone: 602-275-5070, Fax: 602-275-8916, Toll-free: 888-975-1155

if they won't sell to you. try Frame King Moulding in Florence, KY. they sell to smaller framers and artists. if it's too far to ship, they may be able to tell you where to go.

Frame King Moulding Inc. / WDA KY - 27 Spiral Drive, Florence, KY 41042, Phone: 859-647-4400, Fax: 859-647-4405 / 888-901-5464, Toll-free: 800-543-5464

good luck...
    i've seen tru vue museum glass, if the acrylic is close it's worth the search.

lisa

17. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Lisa, I'll try Frame King on Monday.

Best,
    Helen

18. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, the trail lead to a supplier in Manhattan, but the price is $112.50 per 16x20 sheet - almost two and a half times what I pay for Museum.

Thanks again,
    Helen

19. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Helen,

How many 16 x20 sheets do you need, I can get another brand of clear plexi that is nonglare, abrasion resistan or nonglare UV for less than that price you posted.

I don't know if your familier with it, the brand is Cyro, and it is good looking stuff as well.

Dave

20. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave,

Thanks very much for the offer. If I get the go-ahead tomorrow, I'd need 16 sheets initially. However, this is 'anti-reflective' coated that I'm looking for, not 'non-glare' textured. At the moment, I think that I'll do the first set with glass, then subsequent ones in acrylic if required.

Best,
    Helen

21. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Helen,

Okay, if I can help, let me know, I have a great amount of the Tru-Vue stuff available to me, as the people who pour my glass blanks that I use for the ground glass are also a supplier for Tru-vue as well as other products.

Dave

22. JustK

JustK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Jon! I'll look into that, I don't know what the difference is between Premium Clear and Conservation Clear, I am looking for whatever is "good enough" and less expensive, others have mentioned buying regular glass, now I can reference a particular product when I talk with the glass folks, thanks!

23. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Krystyna,

'Conservation Clear' is the UV-blocking (2% UV transmitted) version of 'Premium Clear' (55% UV transmitted). You may not need UV blocking.

Dave,

Thanks again, no doubt I'll be in touch.

Best,
    Helen

24. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually use acyrlite OP-3 anti UV anti abrasion plexi. It is risky to use large sheets of glass on framed work because should the glass get broken it will most likely damage the print, not to mention the risk to people.