Tunable LC Filter

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, May 19, 2009.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think hyperspectral photography is very interesting. I want to do it bymyself and I need a tunable liquid crystal filter. Is there anyone who knows the technology. Which lc is tunable and transparent when colored ? What kind of a lc housing required ? Do electrodes needed to be transparent or electrodes at the sides usable ? What would be the thickness of the lc ? etc etc..

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My recollection is that the transmission spectrum of most LCs are not even approximately neutral. Anyway, you might look up the Kent State liquid crystal institute. They do have a wall on a fab room at Kent that can be variably darkened, and I recall some discussion there long ago about making variable-tint windscreens for cars. Turns out to be rather expensive, I think.

At one time I investigated the use of the photochromic materials found in the 'transitions' sunglasses. That may be possible. And you'd not need a power supply :wink:

3. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last I knew the electrodes were transparent Indium Tin Oxide coated on glass. But my knowledge is 20 years old. It may be significantly different now.