Turning a New Leaf at George Eastman House

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Mark Osterman, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Mark Osterman

Mark Osterman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    From 1999 to 2009 I taught the technological evolution of photography to an international group of photograph conservators in the Advanced Residency Program in Photograph Conservation here at George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film in Rochester, NY.

While that program is now over, I still work here at Eastman House as the photographic process historian. For the first time I am now at liberty to teach my curriculum to the general public. This includes everything from pre-photographic drawing techniques using camera lucida, tent cameras and physionotrace to the earliest processes of Niepce, Daguerre, Bayard and Talbot and all the way to making gelatin emulsions. And from time to time we have guest instructors.

And yes, I teach collodion. In fact, the very first group workshops in the revival of collodion process were conducted by France [my wife] and me here at the museum in 1995. This year we taught the first public workshop in making collodion chloride emulsion printing-out paper and dry plate collodion negatives. This fall I will be teaching two collodion workshops; a beginning ambrotype workshop and a collodion negative workshop featuring both wet and dry collodion negatives, retouching and salt printing.

Our regularly scheduled workshops usually include the history, theory and hands-on instruction of a specific process, but also viewing rare examples of the featured process from the collections of the museum.

Mark Osterman

2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good to have you here, Mark. :smile: You and France does do some lovely photographic work, as I first found out via a reference in one of Jayne Hinds Bidauts photographic books many years ago.

3. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Welcome!

4. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome aboard! Glad to have such a knowledgeable and experienced Collodion user on here. I was just looking at some of your work the other day whilst brushing up on alt processes. I look forward to your insights and maybe post some images? Cheers

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. You sure do know alot!

Jeff

6. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Do you know PE?

I would love to take a colloidal workshop to see if I have been faking it the right way.

7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark and I are teaching a joint workshop at GEH starting Monday the 3rd of October. We are setting up the lab tomorrow. So, yes, I do know Mark! Please see his post in the workshop thread.

PE

8. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hooray, a new source of knowledge. Welcome!

9. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Mark. Good to see you here. As you probably know, we have a Workshops and Lectures section in the forum, and hope you'll post what is on offer in those areas. There are a number of wet plate enthusiasts here, I did a workshop myself a few years ago, so hope you'll keep this community up to date with all the classes on offer at GEH.

10. laser

laser Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am lucky enough to know both PE and Mark Osterman. It is great to have such excellent resources available. They both helped me with my book.

Bob Shanebrook author of "Making KODAK Film".

makingKODAKfilm.com

11. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob, I will have to reciprocate and say that I am lucky enough to know you and Mark! Thanks for all of your work helping us both and me in particular.

See you soon.

And, I must say that I am happy to see Mark here on APUG.

Ron

12. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. It's great to have you as part of our community! :D

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome to APUG!

16. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark, Ron introduced you to me last October when I was in Rochester to visit GEH. It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope to meet you again.

GEH is quite a treasure and I certainly intend to visit again, and I hope that one of these days my schedule will permit me to take one of your courses.

17. Hexavalent

Hexavalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Mark,

welcome to the darkside :tongue:

18. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Welcome to APUG , Mr.Osterman.

Do you know the 1920s two color kodachrome , green and red dyes chemistry ?

Thank you ,

Umut

19. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mustafa, is that anyway to welcome a new member. You must remember to be subtle when hitting them up for info :laugh:

20. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mark and PE are both outstanding teachers; having taken classes with both of them
    this is a very valuable resource for the photographic community...go take a class!!
    Best, Peter

21. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A warm welcome to APUG Mark.

This would be great to know! :wink:

I believe "Pinatype" dyes were used, which to my knowledge (certainly fallible) have never been released from the grapple hold of proprietary knowledge.

22. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Peter.

Ron

23. Mark Osterman

Mark Osterman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think that process [we call it the Capstaff 2 color process] was a little earlier. My understanding was that it didn't go to maket because the dyes were only available in Germany and we were just entering the wat. Nevertheless...there might be something in our Kodak archives. Our photography collection have many of these including the negatives and single plates.

24. Mark Osterman

Mark Osterman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think that process [we call it the Capstaff 2 color process] was a little earlier. My understanding was that it didn't go to maket because the dyes were only available in Germany and we were just entering the wat. Nevertheless...there might be something in our Kodak archives. Our photography collection have many of these including the negatives and single plates.

I posted this in the wrong place before...whoops. As you can see, I don't go on forums very often.

25. Mark Osterman

Mark Osterman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Ian. Hope your work with emulsions is is bearing fruit.

26. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I look forward to discussing this with you in person Mark. :smile:

I believe Pinatype was earlier, c.a. 1907 off the top of my head(?). Capstaff's Kodachrome was in the 20's and used the same class of dyes. Indeed, if the specific dye class was disclosed in the archives somewhere it would solve a hundred year old mystery!, one that the likes of J.S. Friedman was keenly interested in knowing the answer to.

It's entirely possible that it was disclosed at some point, but I doubt it and I'm not sure where that would be hidden.

OK, sorry, going off on a tangent!