Tween 20 Question

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by dpurdy, May 20, 2010.

1. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I could probably just call Bostick and Sullivan and ask them but I will ask here first.
    I have used a little bit of tween 20 in the past at the 10% strength. It was very old and a hand me down from another photographer. It definitely helped make smoother prints but I had a problem with sparkles left on the surface of the paper that stayed even after washing and drying. I heated the bottle of tween up and gave it a good shaking and then I used hot developer for my platinum print and the sparkles went away.
    I have two questions now. I just ordered a 50% solution of tween from B&S and I know I will need to dilute it for using for 8x10 and smaller prints. Is there anything to worry about other than just using some distilled water?

Also is the sparkles problem I had with the old stuff due to age or is it a problem inherent in Tween? Is there another way to avoid it?

Thanks for the help
    Dennis Purdy

2. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dennis, not an answer to your question but just wanted to mention for the records; you can use Ilford's wetting agent Ilfotol too w/o any adverse effects. It's similar -> a non-ionic surfactant. I was using it 2-3 drops into 10ml coating solution - but that depends much on paper...

3. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thank you Loris, I will look into that.
    Dennis

4. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I use it almost on every paper. One to two drops on 8x10s and up to 4 drops on 8x20's or 14x12 prints. they say to be careful it will lower the DMax if you use to much. I don't measure my DMax's so I can't tell you.

mike a