Two Buck Chuck… Good Cheap Color Film Does Exist!

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Scott_Sheppard, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Scott_Sheppard

Scott_Sheppard Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may want to take care with the above link ... my internet security software goes nuts blocking whatever the site is trying to shovel on to my computer.

In any case, the site is simply promoting Fujicolor film. No big secret, eh?

3. Scott_Sheppard

Scott_Sheppard Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stephen is NOT just promoting Fuji products. It was a open test and an opinion.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have no problem with looking at a site in which there is an open and honest test of a film but it is worrying if it is being used as a means to "shovel" stuff onto my computer.

Can either previous participants explain in more detail what may happen if I were to open this site. Based on what Mr Lindan has said, I will refrain from any further exploration until I am sure what I am opening.

If there is a "hidden agenda" here then that is a pity for APUG

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

5. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's about Fuji Superia XTRA 400 being cheap and good, with some example images given. I'm getting no alarms and nothing out of the ordinary, and the Avira anti malware I use is quite effective. I think it's probably just a false positive.

6. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know. I get no warnings on my machine from this site. Perhaps you have your security settings screwed down a little too tightly on your browser. It is possible to overdo it there you know.

Personally, I like Steve Schaub's posts. He's not a snob, and he gives you his honest opinion.

7. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is really old and, for some areas, somewhat misleading news. Around the Toronto GTA area, consumer film is almost invisible at retailers where it was once common--and cheap. No longer on hooks next to the Doritos at the check-out or stacked deep on special in multi-pacs at the holidays, Fuji's Superia films are gone except for chain camera stores where it's hardly bargain-priced. Same story for cheap C-41 processing after Costco bailed on processing 6 months ago. Most of the points are valid but somewhat irrelevant in 2010 in my 'hood. Glad I have a stash of Superia 200/400/800 left over from when I shot miles of it. Have never seen 2 buck Fuji except for short-dated Superia 200 being cleared last fall.

8. Figital Revolution

Figital Revolution Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm not sure what issues is raised when visiting my site... it is a wordpress.com blog which is hosted by wordpress... I have no access to anything other than the layout and content so I expect that you have your security on your browser set to high with will cause warnings on a lot of sites. I also have no $$$ relationship with any company or product I review and all thoughts are my own and I am not trying to "shovel" anything except the hope that with honest conversation film based capture can have a strong long life... period!

Cheers-
    Stephen - Owner Figital Revolution

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No security issues for me and no problems with your solid presentation. Sadly, the whole "ecology" of film shooting is gone or in late stage collapse in many areas. I always thought Fuji consumer films punched way above their weight. I frankly miss the ability to binge shoot Superia films, especially around the holidays.

10. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had not issues or warnings in visiting the site. Stephen has, over the years, posted a lot of good info on that site, and never have I had any problem. I don't see how it can be construed as "shoveling" - it's a story about how an inexpensive film, probably one we've not thought of buying, can produce good results. He has previously posted positive reports on other films by Kodak, etc.

Kudos to Stephen for taking the time to test and post!

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well based on other posts reporting no "shovelling" problems I visited the site and listened and have to say that what I heard seemed to be honest and more importantly "qualified" He isn't promoting Fuji film in its entirety but giving qualified reasons why Superia Extra 400, i.e one specific Fuji film only, not the full range, delivers value for money.

I wonder if Mr Lindan was aware, as has become apparent from others that this Figital revolution site has featured on APUG in the past so has reasonable credentials.

Nothing I saw or heard from that visit to Figital has caused me to question the site's credentials. I am a strictly disinterested party from thousands of miles away in the U.K.

pentaxuser

12. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ahahaa "punched way above their weight"
    that is a great description in my book and I hope you don't mind if I appropriate that quip.

Fuji consumer products are a bit much for me in the saturation/contrast dept but I'm sure they're appropriate for some subjects.

I love their pro films like 400H and 160S.

13. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Superia 200--still my fave lo-buck film--was actually closer to Fuji's pro films in saturation/contrast--quite unlike 400 that could get over the top quick. Superia 800 also looks remarkably nice for a fast film. All of these gave their best printed on Fuji Crystal Archive papers. Kodak abandoned consumer C-41 films early; Fuji hung on and actually sunk $ into r&d that improved them.

14. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry that I gave the wrong impression - it wasn't opinions or Fuji that I complained of as being "shoveled" but various bits of ad/mal-ware. That the reviewer found Fuji, personally, to be a good film - well, what's the news there?

And I do confess that I have the security settings screwed down as tight as possible... I had them loosened last week and spent a lovely few days getting vermin out of the computer that had been inserted by the local news channel's weather web page.

It isn't the poster to the web page, the page builder, the domain owner or the owner of the server that inserts viri and malware - infections are inserted somewhere in the line and the web page simply becomes the current infection vector.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks for the link !
    i enjoy his site and agree
    fuji consumer film is good ..
    and it processes great in caffenol :smile:

16. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ahh interesting,
    lately the only consumer Fuji I messed with was the Superia 400 and it's labeled in Spanish and I think came from S. America. or maybe just packaged there.

I still have a bunch, I got it to try some bleach bypass so I figure if that doesn't tame the sat. nothing will :tongue:

I must admit I haven't optically printed any of the standard processed stuff, I had only proofed it on a scanner but it seemed punch drunk a bit.

I do love the Reala 100 in 120 and glad to see that is rearing it's head again after being scarce for awhile

17. little-infinity

little-infinity Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Really? I saw TONS of film at the Shopper's Drug Mart in Clarkson. 200 and 400 speed varieties, as well as 800 pre-loaded in disposables.

They were (and still might be!) on sale too, 3 roll packs for $6. It's branded as "Easypix" (their inhouse brand) but from some light digging on the web, and by looking at the mask colour of the processed negatives, I'm lead to believe that it's rebranded Fuji. Not sure if it's Superia though. I think I saw some actual Superia too at a little higher cost (around $3 a roll).

:smile:

18. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks. Sounds like 2009! Fuji did extensive store brand work(Loblaws, Shopper's, Black's), so that's probably it. Edge codes on the negs tell all: Superia will be S-200. Here's a link for Fuji edge codes that might help:

http://gastonline.free.fr/Files/Film frame 35mm/FujifilmNotchCodes.pdf

Shopper's must be among the few still carrying Superia films--whether Fuji or store brand. Fujifilm.ca is pretty much useless if asked where their consumer film is sold--amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  19. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Down here in the DC area Wahlgreens (a chain drugstore) is selling it as their own house brand. It's not really that cheap so I always passed.

20. Figital Revolution

Figital Revolution Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  21. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Small quibble - the pic on the page shows a 36-exp. package of Superia 400 - if that's even available anymore (I haven't seen any locally), the store-branded versions are usually 24-exp. anyway. The 24-exp. package is probably what's available for US$2.

That said, I agree with the audio blog that a big factor in the perceived quality of this film, or many consumer colour films, is the processing - if you can get clean and cheap c-41 processing locally, you're in luck. Since Costco pulled their minilab machines across Western Canada, I have yet to find local processing that's both cheap and good (eg, my negs don't come back scratched). I have since connected with someone locally for some repurposed minilab chems, and have started to process my own, which so far is working out just fine, but that may not be an option for everyone.

22. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Amen. Costco was great about 90% of the time till the dying last months of film work when competent operators(yes, they did exist)got relocated around the warehouse and replaced by goofs. I'm not liking what's left, whether Loblaws or way pricier pro lab dev/proof that's overkill for non-critical, 'round the house 35mm candids. I'm also not relishing the inevitable embrace of survivalist C-41 home processing. B&W is fine but C-41 and E6 processing are deeper into hazmat territory than I'm willing to go. The headaches associated with 35mm get relieved occasionally by a Canon G12, though I'm still wedded to my pro labs for 120 C-41 and proofing and printing b&w.