Two darkroom questions. Well, maybe three.

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by nsurit, Jan 12, 2013.

1. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will a ringing iphone on your belt fog film and/or paper in the darkroom? If, so would taping a piece of rubylith over it solve the problem?

I have a couple of film hanging clips that look like a standard wooden clothes pin, however on the end of one of the pieces you squeeze to open the clothes pin, these is a metal clip which I use to attach the cothes pin to a bar in my California Stainless film drying cabinet. Does anyone know where to get these or does anyone have any they would be willing to part with? Thank you, Bill Barber

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rubylith won't help enough with film, but will solve the problem with most black and white paper (Panalure excepted).

3. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I put my iPhone in airplane mode when loading film or darkroom work. Maybe that's not an option for you though.

4. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just put my phone in a black plastic bag that photo paper comes in as I use it for music while in the darkroom. Then I don't have to worry!

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Possibly you could use a screw hook to hang a regular clothespin on the bar.

6. Jim17x

Jim17x Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use my Iphone and Ipod all the time to listen to Pandora in my darkroom.. I place it face down on a small towel and never had an issue with light from it escaping..

7. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I leave my phone in my coat pocket. Or I turn it off. Loading film into tanks only takes a few minutes. Even sheet film in trays doesn't take that long. The light from a phone can very easily fog film.

Then there's the time I forgot to turn off noise canceling on my headphones. All of a sudden I see blue light in the dark. (The headphones have a blue diode to remind that the canceling is on.) My sheet of 8 x 10 was slightly, but evenly fogged.

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always take my phone off my body and put it just outside of the darkroom door. (obviously, this is my personal darkroom) I won't be able to answer my phone anyway.... Likely, when call comes in, I would be right in the middle of exposure sequence or in chemical bath stage.

Those LCD displays are incredibly bright! I don't want to be interrupted either.

9. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Time to swich off the phone?

10. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can live without my phone for a few hours and would leave in out of the darkroom.

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

Jeff

12. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Re the clothespins - I stopped using wooden ones years ago, I had some like you described, but I don't like the idea that the wood can soak up and store impurities (they do discolor after a time). I'm probably overworking that, but that's me. I use plastic clothespins, drill a hole through one side of the finger end to the other, and run a small length of rubber insulating tube (smaller than 1/8th inch) across the two holes, then string them up with the grabbing end down, and oriented like you want them for prints. It takes an hour to do it, but lasts forever.
    See the attached. (you can see one of the old wooden ones in the back endm along with some extra tubing)

Attached Files:

13. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Gosh, it must be a digital thing. I never have any light leak problems with my analog phone. :wink:

14. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too turn off my phone when I am in the darkroom