Two new films and 35mm cameras from Fujifilm

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Terrance Hounsell, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Terrance Hounsell

Terrance Hounsell Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Excerpted from British Journal of Photography
    Title: Fujifilm quashes 35mm rumours
    Date: 15 March 2006

Fujifilm has strenuously denied reports published in a national newspaper that it is to withdraw from the film and 35mm camera business.

The Times published a piece on 02 March claiming that the company is going to quit the traditional market, which the newspaper has since pulled from its website. Fujifilm immediately responded by releasing a statement declaring The Times' report to be in no way representative of 'the company's true position on traditional photography'.

It added: 'Fujifilm remains totally committed to the production, supply and marketing of silver halide film, both in the consumer and professional sectors. Three new films were launched in 2005 and there are already plans for another two new films for early this year. The company has also introduced two new 35mm film cameras, the Fujifilm Clear Shot V ll and Clear Shot M ll.'The report in The Times came after Fujifilm announced widespread job losses from its Imaging Solutions division. In a statement from Japan, the company's president and CEO, Shigetaka Komori, explained that this division, which accounts for 30% of the company's consolidated revenue, 'has faced rapidly intensifying competition due to reduced demand for colour film and slowing growth in the digital camera market'.

As a result, the company will slash 5000 jobs by the end of March 2007.
    Jobs losses are expected in the company's colour film laboratories and distribution departments, and the digital camera factories in China.
    The company also announced that it plans to reorganise its film R&D department, and is to increase its line-up of digital cameras, prioritising features such as high sensitivity.

Richard Linney of Fujifilm UK concluded: 'Obviously the onset of digital technology means that the market has changed, but this change does not mean that film no longer has an important part to play in our industry.'

Source: © Incisive Media Investments Ltd 2005

ALSO
    Leica backs FourThirds Leica has officially endorsed the FourThirds standard, putting out a joint statement with Panasonic announcing a new lens - the first of a new range of optics first mentioned in BJP, 01 March

2. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OKay now to speculate: Will they be Neg or Pos films and will they be color or Black and white?

I guess with the Fuji films I use (my standard color print is Fuji) I don't have to worry about them going anywhere for a while. I just wish I liked Fuji's slide films a little better.

3. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What Fuji slide films have you tried?

Just curious.

Dave

4. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    No need to guess, this was reported about a month ago. The new films are Provia 400X, Fujichrome T64, both transparency films, and Fuji Acros 25, a B&W negative film.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24617

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24632

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24618

5. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't believe anything published by the Murdoch press nowadays... :smile:

Lachlan

6. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Eh, wasn`t this film an early April Fool`s s joke?

I`m not going to fall for it again :smile:

7. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Ah ... yes, you are correct. I just pulled this from the Product Availabilty forum without reading the thread first.

8. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know they have no plan for b&w products at this point, but I do know that they are releasing two 35mm cameras very soon. They are Natura NS and Natura Classica, both equipped with 28mm-56mm f/2.8-5.4 varifocal lens.

I want this Natura Classica body with Natura S lens (24mm f/1.9), or at least Silvi 2.8 lens (24mm f/2.8 zoom)!!!

9. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Aren't they the one with page three girls?

10. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isnt there a reported ISO1600 colour print film as well, or is that JDM only?

11. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Everytime I hear the new film comment, I think that they've found a way to remake one of them cheaper.

12. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All I want is a nice disposable B&W-film lens-camera from Fuji. I bet that will help increse the sale.

13. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All I want is a nice disposable B&W-film lens-camera from Fuji. I bet that will help increase the sale.

14. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I tried Velvia and was disappointed that it looked to "fake" a pallette for me. That was after 1 roll. I've been meaning to try Provia one of these days but for now I'm just sticking with my Elite Chrome.

I should mention that I prefer Kodachrome's look the best but not at the price it costs for film + processing.

15. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well with KM Centuria 1600 on its way out, it looks like Superia 1600 will be the only native 1600 color film left. I've never been much for pushing film so it'd be nice to see another super high speed film.

16. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, they sound High end, I never associated Fuji with high only normal company who seem to have a reputation for good compacts seems to be Olympus, do these cameras have Manual controls?

What I would like to see is a faster Cromagenic film, I think a Cromagenic 1600 B&W film would be just about the finest grain 1600 speed film ever? I'm thinking this because B&W film needs less light because its not multi layerd, right?

17. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is Fuji Natura 1600, which gets mentioned on APUG from time to time. It's quite an improvement on Superia 1600, at least in my opinion.

Best,
    Helen

18. Cooki

Cooki Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    FujiPress 1600 is a pretty nice colour print film.

19. battra92

battra92 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmm, I've never seen that before. Is it available in the states? I very rarely (read never) use 1600 unless I'm shooting like a horse race or in a gymnasium.

20. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You shouldn't hold your breath for that, but interestingly there is a new Rollei branded disposable B & W camera with a Rollei branded 24 exp ISO400 film & built-in flash. It's available in the UK from both Silverprint & Retro Photography for about GBP 9. One of them claims it is possible to reload it!

21. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm in Japan. I have not heard of such a thing from Rollei or any company yet. Maybe it's a UK-only product.

The reason I said Fuji is that it certainly produces new P&S cameras every year or two just to sell more its film. So, if they really want to do that, lens cameras will do.

22. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a cute little reloadable disposable camera, made of metal body, and it comes with an auto program exposure and zone focusing Tessar-type lens. I acquired it for something like US$5. It's called Olympus 35EC2. The exposure circuit is very good, although it is auto only.

I also have anohter one with a rangefinder. It's called Olympus 35RC. This has meter circuit but it's not very good. I acquired it for something like US$30.

Someone I talked online transplanted rangefinder from 35RC to 35EC2 body. Best of both worlds. I'm planning to do the same soon!