Two Questions 1-printing 1-paper

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by mark, Jan 28, 2005.

1. mark

mark Member

My adventure this afternoon with POP got me thinking about my soon to be first experience with Pd. Should I expect a large dry down and expose based on that? I guess I am asking what dry down effect should I expect to see?

Here is the dumb one-How do I know if my paper is sized? I will be using Platinotype and cranes kid finish. I Bought them long ago before this sight existed.

2. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Mark,

Yes you need to evaluate a dryed print for final (or next) exposure determination. Dry down is a factor for all papers in my experience. If you use the same paper you can determine the dry down factor for the paper just like you can silver gelatin. However a dry down factor isn't an absolute or constant predictor as some images may still need a littles less or a little more exposure. Unless of course you are printing from digital negatives.

Yes those papers have sizing. Read Chapter 5 in Arentz's new book for paper info.

Arentz uses Platinotype as his standard printing paper against which others are compared.

Don Bryant

3. mark

mark Member

Oaky thanks, but how do I know if a paper is sized or not?

4. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Mark,

More or less all factory made papers are sized. I'm not sure about some of the Japanese papers.

Don Bryant