Ugh. HIE + Ilfosol S

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by walter23, Oct 12, 2007.

1. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Don't ever try this.

I ruined a nice shot on my rare supply of 4x5 HIE with it; I didn't have any ID-11 so I just scaled up the time for Ilfosol-S by the same amount as I would ID-11 relative to FP4+. It's apparently not compatible, or at least I should have done some testing and worked out a development technique before tossing a good negative into it. I did find a thread somewhere saying it worked at 1+9 dilution for 8 minutes development at 20C (and just as many saying it "probably wouldn't work"); I tried 9 mins at 20C.

This is the first time development has outright failed for me. The whole negative is a middle density of gray with just the faintest amount of detail visible. Muddy yuck. No exposure issues here, I'm sure. I used the same shooting technique I always do with this film, which has gotten me great results.

2. HMFriedman

HMFriedman Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    How old is your Ilfosol S? That stuff has a very short shelf life.

3. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Brand spankin' new. I developed some FP4 from the same batch within minutes and it was perfect.

4. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think Ilfosol S is the right developer for this kind of stuff. I use it to develop Delta 100 and 400 with it and it has nice results. Wouldn't try it on suchs special stuff lik HIE without making a decent testcase.

What ISO did you use??

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2007
  5. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Infrared

I developed my kodak HIE in D-76 (stock) for 9 1/2 mins.Tyrned out ok.

Mike

Attached Files:

6. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had the best HIE results with Sprint developer (which is probably like D-76). I did try Ilfosol once, I think, and it was rather grey.

7. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

That's what I normally use (ID-11 which I hear is pretty much the same formula as D76).

BTW, that's a really nice image. What kind of EI do you use? I usually go ISO 25 with a dark red filter (#25 or #29) for HIE, though it tends to come out a bit on the overexposed side a lot of the time.

8. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Walter 23. I set my iso to 50 and mounted an 89b gel filter between the film rails of my Nikon FE.Much easier to compose a shot as the 89b is so black that metering/viewing through it is near impossible.

Mike

9. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ahh, I've never tried this film with a really opaque IR filter - just the dark red #29 or red #25.

Will have to give that a try!