UK 2009 Spring Meet - April 25/26 West Cornwall

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by Bob F., Dec 15, 2008.

1. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jolly good.

Now we know where and when, we will need some local insight as to where to stay and what to see in the bottom left hand corner...

Where to stay is more important at the moment as the sooner we can book, the better chance of finding somewhere that can take all that are going.

Suggestions please...

2. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob,

The RPS have used the Carbis Bay Hotel quite a lot over the last few years and I have stayed there myself and it is excellent in all respects. Also being right next to the beach at Carbis Bay early morning photo forays can be done if the desire takes you. the location is very good as well for getting to places within the area. If the group approves I am willing to approach the hotel and see if we can get a discount off their tarrif, but this may not be possible, but I'll give it a go. When looking at the room rates bear in mind that breakfast and evening meals are included and the standard is very good. To see what the Carbis Bay has to offer go to:

www.carbisbayhotel.co.uk

Loads of other hotels / accommodation exists of course but I have never used any of them so cannot recommend. Maybe someone else in the area knows some good establishments?

With locations - no problems, maybe those going would like to indicated the sort of subjects they would like to look at and I'll get back with some suggestions. To think about about are Engine houses / mine workings/ (old and new), coastal, heritage (quoits etc), harbours, villages, woodlands and moorland outcrops (these do need a bit walking to).

All the best and we look forward to welcoming all those coming to West Cornwall in 2009 :smile:

Neil.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
  3. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Neil, the Carbis Bay Hotel looks absolutely fabulous but rather too pricey.

We use the Hotel mostly as a base from which we explore the area, so need far fewer facilities than the Carbis Bay offers.

I don’t remember exactly how much we paid for Anglesey or Seahouses but that is more the price/standard of Hotel I had imagined.

I don’t see any harm in approaching them to see what sort of deal they are prepared to offer us but at the same time we need to try and find a few slightly more down market alternatives?

Martin

4. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Martin,
    The problem is down here April is deemed as mid-season! From experience with the RPS dos at the Carbis Bay there will be little chance of negotiating anything until some numbers are known. Their website says 10% off if 30 book but I've assumed we shall be no where near that so realistically if anything could be done it would only be a few % . I think you would have a job to find a Seahouses deal in the area but I could be wrong. Can someone else in the area who has used a few local hotels give a recommendation?

A cheaper option (the other end of the scale in fact!) would be to base ourselves at St Just where there is a big free public car park and use the local pubs / BBs but we would probably be split between two or three primises - not too much of a problem as they are mainly around the town square. But apart from having a drink in these places I have no idea of what they are like tp stay in. But if cost is a main factor some good savings could be achieved by going down this route.

Personally I didn't think the Carbis Bay was too steep (for what is on offer) as I have recently paid £67 to stay in Travelodges and that's just for the bed !

Neil.

5. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it will be difficult to find a much cheaper 'all-in' option at that time of year in Cornwall.

Barry

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I ran workshops in the late 80's - early 90's I always rented houses, this worked out quite cheap for 7-10 people even if they didn't all stay a week, just a weekend, but unfortunately Cornwall is probably the most expensive part of the UK, I was there last April. There are much cheaper small Hotels but inland not in tourist resorts.

Ian

7. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  9. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a large Premier Inn at Hayle which would do. It is located just off the A39 (roundabout) on the east side of Hayle. I have checked the price for a room (single occupancy) for the 24/25/26 April and was quoted £177.00 ( £59 per night). Added to this of course would be meals - £7.35 for full breakfast and dinner at say £15 ??? The Inn is OK but may be noisey as it is very near the A30 dual carriageway. With the food estimates above you would be paying £1.35 per day more than at the Carbis Bay Hotel :sad: However, if you wish to cut back on the food costs savings can be made.

Neil.

10. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

On the same site as the Premier Inn at Hayle there is also a Travelodge. I have been quoted by Travelodge £207 (£69 per night) for the same three dates - no food of course - this must be added on. The Travelodge is on a busy gargage site and much nearer to the A30 than the Premier Inn.

Neil.

11. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Neil for your input.

The Carbis offer is not bad because it includes the evening meal and breakfast. So that would be fine with me, but it is true that it is more expensive than what we paid for at the previous gatherings. So it is worth considering all options to keep the gathering open to as many people as possible.

I think that Ian & Heather's idea about the cottage rental is quite good, and possibly a cheaper alternative. And so all the more, if there was a Friday changeover.
    I feel very uneasy to commit about the duration of my trip because I don't know whether I'll have managed to sort out my driving license and car before April, nor do I know how I'll cope with driving on the wrong side of the road. But if the car&license are sorted out, I'd be willing to stay for a week or so, rather than just the week-end.
    So, from that point of view, I find the cottage appealing.

My 2 cents,

Delphine
    I

12. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I've lived in Cornwall for 45yrs I've never stayed in any of its hotels so can't personally recommend any but this place is in Lelant which is acouple of miles from St Ives. Its right on the main road and easy to find and also about 10min walk to the stunning beaches and near the Hayle estuary: http://www.thebadgerinn.co.uk/booking.html If I'm reading the tariff right its £75 per room per night not per person as is Carbis bay ?

Sorry, dont know how to make this a link !!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2008
  13. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey ... it is a link !

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've just looked at the booking online thing for Carbis Bay and it only offered me a family room for the Friday for 2 nights (arrive Friday 24th leave Sunday). I think they might be full up that weekend based on that?

16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There seems to be quite a number of decent-looking Guest Houses / Hotels in the St Ives area. Presumably, that's the sort of place we should be considering? I'm assuming we'll be stopping for the two nights - 24th and 25t April. Please confirm. Here's a couple of hotels that look quite reasonable:

http://www.hotelsteia.co.uk/
    http://www.edgarshotel.co.uk/

I get the impression that £70-80 per room per night for B&B is about the going rate. That's the sort of price I'd be prepared to pay. As for evening meals, I'd rather eat out than in the hotel in which I'm staying. However, I am happy to go with the majority vote.

As previously mentioned, it seems that some of these are getting booked already. On the basis that the cost will be around the £150-160 for two nights, please count me and Mrs. Analog Kid 'in'.

17. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will try to answer as much as possible in this but do get back to me if I've missed anything.

It looks as if the Carbis Bay is pretty booked that weekend - it is quite popular.

The Badger at Lelant is OK position wise but it is more a pub than a hotel (car park small with nothing out in the street) and I'm not sure how many bedrooms - maybe not enough for the group. Otherwise nice place

St Ives is a good location (also has the St Ives TATE) with plenty of small hotels / pubs restaurants etc. Down side very few premises have car parking in St Ives so cars would have to be left in the public car parks which can be a bit of a bun fight.

Penzance would be worth looking at location wise but I did do a few checks and the prices I came up with were about the same as Carbis Bay. Also car parking in Penzance can be a problem with the smaller hotels.

I was under the impression that with these dos folks wanted to be in one hotel all together so that really pushes you to the medium to large sized hotels. If folks don't mind being split up small B&Bs / cottages and the like would give the best deals cost wise but several of them would have to be used to accommodate everyone.

I don't think we can expect to find a Seahouses type of deal in West Cornwall in late April.

Neil.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
  18. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Hi Delphine, best of luck with test and car. Don't worry about the driving just jump on the train and we can pick you up at Camborne or St Erth.
    I am sure there will be enough cars here to take you around :smile:

Neil.

19. Stoo Batchelor

Stoo Batchelor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Firstly, I would also like to thank Neil for the work that he has done so far, much appreciated. Personally, the pricing for the Carbis Bay Hotel was about right, and I would not have a problem stretching to that. Personally I feel that it would be a shame if the group was divided in to separate accommodation, as I feel the whole ethos of the weekend would be undermined. Also, it is quite important to have an area where the group can get together for print sharing, such as the lounge area we had at Seahouses, which for me, is my favourite part of these get together's.

St Ives, for me , would be the icing on the cake, though Penzance is more centrally located for the area.

My tuppence worth

Stoo

20. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just called the Carbis bay hotel, the only availabilities for 24-26 April is 2 double room and 1 family room.

21. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think I might have been wrong about the pricing of the Carbis Bay :sad:

Having done some hunting around on the internet, Carbis Bay looks like quite good value for money against the local alternatives :smile:

Like Stoo, I find the evening discussion/chat the most enjoyable part of the whole experience.

Being spread across a few or many different venues would make the viewing of other peoples prints over a glass of wine in the evening much more difficult

My wife and I always rent a cottage for our annual visit to West Cornwall (http://www.westcornwallcottageholidays.com/) but the reality of getting several people up, showered , breakfasted and tidied up does not appeal

Incidentally for those thinking about public transport, Penzance is a main line Railway Station, with a regular local train service to St Ives.

Martin

22. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pity about Carbis bay being booked as it would be ideal as far as having a meeting room for viewing prints etc. This is the one aspect of the gathering that I would look forward too.
    I think Carbis also have quite a few self catering properties of which some are located almost next to each other. Not sure how the prices work out though and logistics of dividing people up into them might be a pain.

23. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  24. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill,
    The Pednolva quotes parking at £7 per day - maybe a consideration for some?
    Unable to get the Garrack link working but I think I checked that one out yesterday.

Neil.

25. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, just noticed - what a rip off !!

26. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok guys, I just called the Pednolva. They have a private function on on our w/e, and only a couple of rooms available then. They are fully booked for the following w/e with a wedding party.