UK Autumn Colour resource

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by FrankB, Oct 12, 2005.

1. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For those who like to capture autumn colour in the UK there a handy resource provided by the Forestry Commission.

At http://www.forestry.gov.uk/ you'll find a link to a map of the UK showing what colour stage each forest has reached. It's updated frequently and is more than slightly useful in timing photo trips.

Thought I'd pass it along.

All the best,

Frank

2. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Frank

Very helpful- now bookmarked.

Today everything looks grey and dank. Officially the New Forest is going yellow, which is about right - Light is looking good for Thurs and Fri.

If anyone wants a more hands on approach for determining colours in the New Forest, please PM me. This year I aim to be less laid back about shooting trees in Autumn colours than previously!

3. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I caught a tip from a photo mag a while back (I think it was from Lee Frost) - for shooting in forests (including autumn colour), overcast conditions are actually sometimes better, reducing contrast to levels manageable by transparency emulsions. His advice was load up with Velvia, stick a polariser in front of the lens, pack a tripod and give it a go.

Obviously if you're looking for sunlight filtering through the leaves then disregard the above!

Apologies if I'm teaching my grandma to suck eggs! :smile:

All the best,

Frank