uk photography bookshop

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by coigach, May 23, 2007.

1. coigach

coigach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

Just a short post to tell folks about a great photography bookshop in Edinburgh, Scotland. It's called 'Beyond Words' and has a great selection of books, many unusual and hard-to-find titles. They also have a webshop where titles can be ordered online for those unlucky enough not to live near Edinburgh (!)

http://www.beyondwords.co.uk

Cheers,
    Gavin

2. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do they encourage browsing? Provide armchairs? I'll be passing through (on my way to Coigach :smile: this summer and might be tempted to stop by.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It appears they don't encourage browsing as the site won't load in Firefox.

Ian

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Suggest you investigate further Ian; it loads through my firefox 2.0.0.3 ok.:confused:

5. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Odd - not loading in my Firefox either, also 2.0.0.3 (running on Vista). It loads about 10 lines of HTML and then sits there waiting for more...

Loads normally in IE7.

Also loads fine in Firefox 2.0.0.3 running on XP Pro.

Tres interesting... But not enough for me to bother trying to find a solution... :wink:

Cheers, Bob.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I don't even get 10 lines, in Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Vista.

However it will open ok in an IE tab in Firefox.

It's a shame Blinking Images in Hay on Wye closed that really was great resource fo Photography books.

Ian

7. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is Blinking Images the shop that used to occupy the old cinema? Unlike other shops the one I am thinking of used to sell a lot of new books as opposed to secondhand ones. I have been to Hay-on-Wye twice in the last 10 years but not since about 2002. It was an Aladdin's cave for photographers.

pentaxuser

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No Blinking images was near the drive to the castle, on Oxford Road by the Junction with Back Fold. He only sold photographic books, and had many excellent second-hand book.

Ian

9. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Aaaaaah! Vista:sad:

Sniffing around around Beyond Words' site has cost me money;:surprised: I brought a Tilman Crane tome. :D

10. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Ian. I think I must have missed that one altogether. I don't remember a shop which was exclusively photography. Pity.

Mind you, finding it after browsing for about 5 hours in the others would probably have been grounds for the wife's plea of justifiable homocide.

pentaxuser

11. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For those interested 'Photo Books International' is an excellent place to find second hand photography books, they have 1000's of excellent books and I have spent many an enjoyable afternoon there. They are based very near Kings Cross Station in London which is quite handy for me.

12. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reminder Dave, I had forgotten about them, and since I'm working in the new station I shall go over one lunch time and browse.

13. beyondwords

beyondwords Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was sorry to hear of the difficulties some of you were having accessing our website. I must confess these technical issues are not my strong point but I emailed the website developers and have heard back from two of their staff as follows:
    "I have tried accessing the site with the latest version of Firefox (2.0.0.4) and all works fine. We do not have Vista and Firefox installed on any of our hardware however the latest release of Firefox does apparently fix some issues with Vista. The application was designed to support both IE and Firefox."
    "I have Vista and Firefox (although I have the latest version 2.0.0.4) I have just tried the site and all works fine."

If any of you are having continuing difficulties and wouldn't mind taking a few moments to let me have some detail, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks for your time.

14. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just FYI, I just tried it and it now works fine with my Firefox and Vista - a Firefox patch was installed the other day, so that may well have been the solution as suggested.

Cheers, Bob.

15. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Doesn't work with Opera.
    Doesn't work with Firefox.
    Works with the Exploder...

16. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Works ok with Opera, Firefox, and I.E. and windows XP.