ULF 11x14 wide lenses/coverage?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike A, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'm looking at purchasing a wide to semi wide lens for my 11x14 and was wondering if anyone knows of a list with makers that will cover this format or ULF formats. Ie 12in Dagors, 305/355 G Clarons........
    Any recomandations will be appreciated.
    Mike A.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  5. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you can find one the 240mm Computar is a great wide angle lens for 11X14" work. It is a very small lens and covers the format with almost two inches of movement. The 210mm Computar will also cover 11X14", but with virtually no movement.

Sandy

6. smieglitz

smieglitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a 210mm Angulon in Compound shutter that I believe would cover at infinity. I've only used it at distances under 15 feet or so but the data from the chart mentioned above supports my feeling about the lens. According to that info, an Angulon design of 174mm should cover the format, so a 210mm should give a slight amount of movement at infinity as well:

Schneider Angulon f/6.8 105 degrees 6 elements/2 groups 174mm or 7"

I like it because it is a relatively compact lens for the format and appears sharp on 11x14 contacts (plus it takes the same shutter as an older 300mm convertible Symmar I have which according to that chart, will also cover 11x14-I'll have to check that out now). I've heard some Angulons were dogs but this lens and another Linhof-picked 90 Angulon I have are nice lenses and were a good value IMO.

Joe

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The coverage depende on the age of the Angulon....
    Post-WWII coated Angulons were redesigned (to give sharper images?) and lost some coverage. Late 210mm's were made for 24x30cm or 9.5x12" (well - they all were) and cover that format well. But 11x14" is quite a bit bigger, and newer lenses won't cover.

So with all Angulons remember that there are two "models", which differ with regards to coverage.

I've just bought a pre-war Angulon 210mm, but haven't seen it yet. From the original specifications it should barely cover 12x16", and coincidentally there's a camera of that size on it's way to me as well :smile:

8. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    300 Nikor m f/9 will cover and is a coated lens....I use it on 7 x 17 also

305 G Claron f/9 covers with more movement but doesnt have the coating the nikor has

9. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I owned a 210 f/6.8 Angulon for a while but eventually sold it because I was not satisfied with its performance on 7X17, which has a diagoinal just a tad longer than 11X14. The circle of illumination was more than large enough but performance at the corners was very poor, even when stopped down to f/45. It would have been a nice lens for 8X10 but I would not recommend this lens for any formats larger than that.

Mine was a rather late model coated lens, for what it is worth.

Sandy

10. Donsta

Donsta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave

I am surprized that you recommend this lens for anything bigger than 8x10 - in fact, in my experience, as soon as you need more than just a little movement on 8x10, you get really soft and mushy. I agree it is razor sharp and fabulous in the middle, but I in fact sold mine (and bought a 305mm G claron) when I started shooting more and more 8X10. I would have thought the corners on 7X17 would be frankly dreadful? Perhaps your sample is a real gem?

11. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Donsta,

I have made 3 negs with this lens...straight on landscape at infinity...seems to be no problem...the lens was recommended to me by Fred at View camera....I also have the 305 Claron....I have not A B'd them yet....I do know the Claron has more movement. I like the smallness of the nikor...could be you are right I will find out in the next few months if it is up to expectation.

12. Mike A

Mike A Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Gentlemen, Thank you for all the needed information it was of great help as usual.
    Mike A

13. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Mike,

I would (if I was going to have only 1 lens for 11 x 14 ) suggest you consider the G Claron 355....

good rumor has it that Jim Galli has one available at the present time.

14. Brook

Brook Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Another cheap option is a JML 300mm process lens. Sharp, contrasty, covers, and I got mine for 37.00$

15. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Brook that is a new one for me what is JML , is it larger that f/9...shutter size....do you know is other lengths are available as in the Computar f/9s?

16. Brook

Brook Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It also says NuArc. Its an f10 in a barrel off a process/copy camera. I also have a 210 that is an exellent preformer. I see them on feebay from time to time. Seems like a 6 element plasmat.