Ultrafine Brand Film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Hell-on-a-stick, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hell-on-a-stick

Hell-on-a-stick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone have any Idea as to what this Utrafine 100, 400iso film and Ultrafine 'extreme' 400iso film is? Its cheap, its in 120 and 135 format...I wonder what film they are using these days and re-branding as their own?

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some reports say Lucky from China. But I have no way to verify that.

If it were me looking into purchasing it, I'd just get a brick and try it out to see if I like it or not. Maybe it isn't important who makes it?
    Or, if you're like me, you're curious and want to know anyway... :smile:

- Thomas

3. Hell-on-a-stick

Hell-on-a-stick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, i'm the curious sort. Especially since i'd like to have some idea what i'm working with. I ordered two of each format, i'll see what they do with acufine and tmax dev. I'll post up some images when i get finished. I figure, Kodak isn't helping us by maintaining emulsion types and constantly raising prices, maybe i'll go for something cheaper. I assume, the old adage will apply, though, that you get what you pay for. :smile:

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, you usually do get what you pay for. I went down the route of using less expensive film a couple of years back, and I ended up shooting two frames of everything, just to make sure one of the negs didn't have a bad pinhole in it or something. So I ended up using a lot more film, at the same or more cost.

Kodak, Fuji, Ilford = pretty trouble free operation. The peace of mind of knowing that my results will be as I expect is worth the extra money per roll for me. But at the time I really didn't have a choice either. It was all I could afford.

Either way, good luck with your test. I've tried Lucky film in the past (which I think the 100 and 400 is). Interesting antihalation properties, scratches easily in processing, but otherwise fine film. Have fun!

- Thomas

5. Hell-on-a-stick

Hell-on-a-stick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My friend and apug member Dehk has shot some lucky recently with very favorable results...it seems to be a cost effective variation. I'm also looking for this film for a large project that is going to involve at least a brick of film, all told.

6. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From what I know. Lucky doesn't make (or no longer makes) 400 speed. Neither does Shanghai. As I buy them from my cousin in that part of the world.

Last I heard those Ultrafine are Foma Pan.

7. engineerchris

engineerchris Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I started on a brick of the 400 extreme today. Based solely on packaging it sure looks allot like Ilford. I have not developed anything but the times line up with HP5 relatively well. What little info I have seen for user impressions on the web was not good. It is cheap enough to see for myself. When I get done souping I will post up my thoughts.

8. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've shot some of the "PLUS" 400 in 135 in PMK
    It's really thin base. I didn't notice scratches and I was spooling it myself from a 100ft roll.
    It's not bad for the moolah.

Here's a shot in contrasty (hate that word) light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a bit grainy and the s*an doesn't help.
    I haven't really formed a solid opinion on this stuff yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  9. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are using 35mm for your project, be sure to check out the alternatives from Freestyle. They have repackaged Fuji and Kodak film for about two bucks per roll.

10. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2F,
    The arista premium went up as of 4/11 but it's still a good deal.
    I just missed grabbing some AP400, the 100ft roll is now 45.00 :sad:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't realize that. It is a big price increase (50 percent) for the bulk film. For the rolls it is only about a 10 percent increase.

Looks like they still have Legacy Pro (Fuji Neopan) for $2 a roll, though.

12. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I was shocked to the point of emailing Marv to ask if it was a misprint.
    The savings on the bulk rolls was never that great with this emulsion anyway but I dont get it.

I liked the 100ft rolls because room in my freezer is at a premium right now.

I buy it when I can because I'm paranoid by nature when it comes to films these days.

I did opt for some legacy 400 instead. Short date but an amazing deal.

13. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You have to watch the prices all the time - they did say that stuff was going up. The AP seemed to bePriced to match on the EDU.Ultra for a long time.
    Bargoon this morning is they have some HP5+ Two roll packs for ten cents more than a single roll - that makes HP5 as cheep as Ultra.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Hell-on-a-stick

Hell-on-a-stick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is great news, in some respects. I did buy some arista films recently, i have yet to shoot it though. I've been told that it is just like plus-x and trix, so we shall see. Many of the shots that I'll be doing are double exposures anyway...so i'm searching to find a suitable film. The 100 speed ultrafine worked out nicely for this, though i think i would have rated it at a different speed for the next test. the 400 looks good as well, and its a solid film...not a thin mask like the lucky. we'll see who wins the battle in the end. it may be plus-x from ultrafine online, because its cheap and im more familiar with it...but we'll see. still working. :smile:

16. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot a lot of Lucky and Shanghai film, good stuff but my feeling is the Arista is Fomapan...

17. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Arista.EDU ULTRA is undoubtedly Foma Pan. as is the HOLGA film.
    Arista Premium is from Kodak
    Legacy Pro is from Fuji.

18. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just developed a roll of the Legacy Pro, pretty sure it's Fuji Neopan Acros.

19. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It definitely is.

20. Hell-on-a-stick

Hell-on-a-stick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, guys, here's my first test run with this Ultrafine Extreme 400. I shot it 120 through a Yashica-A.
    Sorry it took so long. I think that the Ilford possibility is pretty strong.

Attached Files:

21. engineerchris

engineerchris Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have shot about 10 rolls of the Extreme 400 so far. I had previously read some bad reports online, but dev'ed in Xtol and Rodinol it seems like decent stuff to me.

Could it be rebranded HP5 or maybe some old/off spec stock co-packaged by Ilford? I have not shot hp5 back to back with the Extreme 400, but I have compared the packaging on the Ultrafine Extreme 400 vs rolls of Delta 3200. The box, wrapper, and backing paper all scream like they were made by the same people.

I also have several rolls of the Ultrafine Plus 100 and 400 that were purchased at the same time as the Extreme 400. All three have different packaging. The Plus film seems fine, but my negs have a bad curl to deal with. No curl with the Extreme 400. I just wish it were about $0.50-1.00 cheaper per roll.

What did you use for development on those example shots?

22. Joe Vitessa

Joe Vitessa Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'd be pretty surprised if the Ultrafine films were HP5. Maybe Kentmere, which is also produced by Ilford's parent company Harman. Glad to see some good results, though.

Joe

23. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IIRC, the actual manufacturer of this rebranded film has changed several time since this brand name first appeared. This is an ongoing problem with rebranded film. I have some in my freezer and I know that my film is not Ilford.

24. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought some a few months ago, I did a cross walk comparing developing times, seems to match Forma. I have not shot any yet but I recall that that the last time I shot Forma 4X5 and 120 400 and 100 had blue cast while the 200 did not.

25. engineerchris

engineerchris Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Gerald,
    The Ultrafine, and Ultrafine Plus, both appear to be different manufacturers based solely on packaging. My guess would be Chinese for one or both of those lines. I have never tried the official GP3 film, but I have read the curl is similar to what I saw.

The Extreme line is a relatively new animal, and that is the one that has "Ilford Like" packaging. I ordered some real HP5 in 120 today, so I will do a direct one to one comparison of the Extreme 400 in 120. The 35mm product may be a completely different film as well. I just haven't tried it. Other reports on Flickr of the Extreme 100 in 35mm seem to be favorable, but it only comes in 35mm.

FWIW they also have a couple other items that I personally have been very happy with for the $, I am hesitant to even draw attention to what stock they might have left. I plan to stock up while I can, but who knows they may have a couple metric tons of this stuff. There is an off label APX100 35mm 24 exp rolls at $1.49 (I have tons of bulk APX400 so I haven't tried it myself but they have it for a dime more per roll). The other is "Chromogenic 400 B & W C-41 Film 35mm x 27 Exposure" for $1.59. Granted this is the only pseudo B&W film I have tried, but I personally loved the look. Any ideas on who could be making this stuff? I only know of the Kodak and Ilford brand C41 B&W.

26. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your information. Rebranded film can be very confusing. I can only say that Kodak never knowingly permits its film to be rebranded.