Ultrafine papers

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Terrence Brennan, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Terrence Brennan

Terrence Brennan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just followed a link to a site I've never been to before, UltraFineOnLine, and I see that they have their own brand of B&W paper, Ultrafine VC ELITE Variable Contrast RC Paper and Ultrafine Plus+ VariGrade Variable Contrast RC Paper.

Are there any APUGers who have used these two products? What are these papers like?

Furthermore, can you give me some info on what information is printed on the outside label, or on the instruction sheets? Specifically, in which country is it made, as that would seem to be a pretty clear indication of just who the manufacturer is. Also, any info on which combination or magenta and yellow filters are supposed to give which contrast, another indication of what these products might be.

2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Im wondering the same thing about the UltraFine Fiber Base VariGrade in glossy. Anyone???

3. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've shot them e-mails before, regarding questions that I had about their products, and they were extremely prompt and helpful with their responses. I have never tried any of their paper.

4. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's ok paper, not really bad, but not great either. I use it for contact sheets, test prints, etc. Anything I value get printed on fiber anyway. Price is good, tho'.

Don't know where it's made and IIRC, nothing comes with it; no directions, nothing.

5. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second. It's fine for the price, which is inexpensive. Award winning? No. But certainly adequate for a lot of grunt stuff. I've ever bought any of their 'premium' products, so I don't know about those.

So far as I know Ultrafine only repackages stuff manufactured by others. They have no fundamental manufacturing capacity, but they do have their own slitting and packaging facilities. I could be wrong about that, but that's what I have been lead to believe.

MB

6. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Our school uses it for printing for the Photo 1 class. I've made some good prints with it. Of course I haven't compared it to any other RC paper.

7. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just ordered a box of 8x10 Ultrafine. I'm hoping that it is pretty good. I tried some Arista/Foma one time that had a purple hue to it, so I'm hoping this is not the case with the Ultrafine.