Ultrafine Papers

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Film Guerilla, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Film Guerilla

Film Guerilla Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi there,

I've been looking for some papers to use for paper negatives and contact printing and i came across ultrafine website.

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ulphpa.html

Their range of papers seems to be affordable. Anyone had tried any of their paper for negatives/printing?

Thanks!

PS: Sorry, I'm having problem with the search function here so i decided to post it here as well.

2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a pack of the Fibre in 5x7 but I haven't cracked it yet.

I've always had good experiences with them but I know a few have gotten some colorshifted film recently.
    They are always upfront with the dating and such so if you're buying expired stuff you takes your chances

I know this doesn't apply to the paper situation (or help you out at all ) but thought I'd throw it out here anyway. I've had good experiences so far with my dealings with them and would recommend them.

Plus they are an advertiser/sponsor here on APUG.

3. Film Guerilla

Film Guerilla Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    thanks bruce. while searching from other forums it seems that there are a few not satisfied customers out there.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i haven't used any of their latest paper,
    but bought and use ( still use ) some of their
    "made in england" paper when they sold it.
    beautiful paper !
    if the new stuff is anything like the paper they rebranded
    from ilford you have nothing to worry about.

john

5. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used both VC and grade 3 RC for proofing and work prints, seems to be Foma. I am puzzled as why Ultrafine is not required to list the country of orgin. I find both graded and VC to meet my needs for work prints, I am looking to replace SAVICH (sp?) fiber for final prints.

6. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    By U.K. standards these are amazing prices. A pack of 100 VC Elite 5x7 works out at about £10.50 We haven't seen such prices in the U.K. for probably 15 years at least - maybe more. At these prices I'd be gaily buying at using paper without a second thought. Ilford would have to go onto 24/7 working :D

I wonder who makes this stuff and how does Ultrafine manage to sell it for these prices and still make a profit?

I wish I hadn't seen this thread. It only revives in me and I suspect other U.K. based APUGers the old feelings that somehow we are being ripped off here in the U.K.

pentaxuser

7. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems that B&H sells also Foma as house brand as Multitone at about the same price, lower than Freestyle house brand. At least Freestyle has always listed the country of orgin.

8. Film Guerilla

Film Guerilla Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    sorry about this thread. :D i'm just curious how ultrafine is selling papers for the price. would like to know if their papers are also rebranded like some of freestyle papers/films.. anyone can confirm this?

thank you guys!

9. Film Guerilla

Film Guerilla Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    interesting.. i haven't check B&H house brands.. i might end up getting some arista papers for my purpose. since there are no detailed info about ultrafine papers atleast freestyle is very open with that.

10. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adorama also sells a House Brand paper in both RC and Fiber and at good prices.
    I quite like the matte version of the fiber as it is quite warm.

11. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is the current UltraFine still Made in England?

12. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless made to order by Harman my guess is that Ultrafine house brand in is Foma.

13. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does Harman not sell in bulk?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013
  14. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not since the the creation of Harman (Harmon?). There were lots of stories about the old Freestyle Arista Line. But it was Ilford products.

The story I heard and like the most (meaning I do not know if it was true, but sounds reasonable) was that British labor laws required workers be guarenteed a certain number of hours of work...which caused over-production. Ilford would then sell the excess in bulk to Freestyle and other companies at low prices to be re-branded...but with an agreement not to disclose that Ilford made it -- to preserve their own sales.

If Freestyle changes the name of their house brand, it usually means the source of the paper/film has changed. Arista, Artista-Plus, Arista-EDU.

15. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it's Foma. Foma paper doesn't like my OC safelights, Ultrafine is ok with them.

16. desertrat

desertrat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought some 120 B/W film from Ultrafine last year that is most likely Lucky. I believe Lucky also makes B/W paper. I have some of the Ultrafine paper, also bought last year. Comparing it to the Arista EDU Ultra VC RC, the texture is a bit different, it responds to contrast filtration differently, and the Ultrafine paper has a slight tendency to curl away from the emulsion side. This is the opposite of the Freestyle/Foma paper.

I think there is a distinct possibility the Ultrafine paper is Lucky, or Chinese made at least. There is no country of origin listed for either the Ultrafine 120 film or the Ultrafine paper.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  17. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did buy a roll of 120 ISO 400 from Ultrafine and it's spool and paper along with the seal are identical to that of Ilford film. Perhaps this stuff is Kentmere?