Uncompromising Artists

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by photobackpacker, Jun 7, 2005.

1. photobackpacker

photobackpacker Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have subscribed to Photo Techniques for years - starting back when it was called Darkroom Techniques. In the newest issue, there is an article entitled Condenser Versus Diffused Light by Jean-Christian Rosaggni. The article is interesting, if indecisive - but what I found interesting were the introductory words.

He acknowledges what most of the binary-benders must be thinking as they skimmed past the article with this statement:

"It might seem pointless to worry about this issue when so many have gone digital, but while I believe that digital has considerable merit, I also see that nothing is going to replace the dynamism of silver halide, fiber-based, black-and-white prints anytime soon, if ever. Silver is increasingly the domain of uncompromising artists, and it is consequently worth revisiting the fundamentals, including the quality of the enlarger's light source."

I found his descriptive word "uncompromising" to ring a resonant chord with me. I think this is why there is so much passion surrounding this issue. If digital posed no threat to the array of tools available to me, I would regard it as the logical evolution of APS......:smile:

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get rid of the r, o, s, and n in his last name and you know why he has the thoughts he does about uncompromising.

3. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That was quick!

Murray

4. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    :D

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sounds about right. It's interesting how there are people using historic wet processes from virtually every period in the history of photography, but when there are affordable full-frame 22Mpix DSLRs, will there be anyone ardently working away with 3.3 or 8 Mpix cameras, insisting that there was something about the 3.3 or 8 Mpix camera that represented a golden age?