Underwater 8x10 Camera!

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Newt_on_Swings, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. spongeboy

spongeboy Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    ....ditto; I like the camera and the photos are lovely as well.
    The first real in-situ underwater photos were actually done with that format, a slightly bulkier version, in 1893 (5x7) and then in 1895 (8x10) by french scientist, diver and photographer Louis Boutan. David Stahl's looks a bit more compact, but is, partially due to the format, still pretty massive.

As an aside, I worked on a 8x10 a while back as well and later settled for 5x7 which gives me two exposures per dive, and configured as a 6x17 I have four exposures on a motorized rollfilm back per dive. I had the same problems: Bulkiness and weight, but got my 5x7" down to ~14kg in air and 0.2kg underwater. I found that DOF became so critical in 8x10 that in practicality it went past the sweet spot of resolution vs. focussing ability and thus I had to incorporate camera-tilt to maximise usefulness. Another guy though, Erick Regnard, has been using a 4x5" very successfully for deep wreck dives recently. LF underwater seems to have a second life!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With 4x5 inch size, it becomes possible to consider roll-film - you can still get rolls of 4" wide b&w film and perhaps color emulsions as well. You'd have to build in some kind of transport mechanism for the film and a way to make it light-tight along with being water-tight. If 8" or 10" (9.5" or whatever it is) roll film is still available, I don't think I'd want to know what the weight of something like a roller transport mechanism for that would be. The motorized back for my RB67 is heavy enough, and it only needs 4 AA batteries!

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow I didn't know there was more history to underwater LF. Very cool. I have to check out those photographers mentioned.

6. spongeboy

spongeboy Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, I think 9.5" rollfilm would go even further into insanity territory even just from a pure image quality output; not something that'd lend itself to versatility on a dive.
    I can (and do) use a 6x17 back on my 5x7 (1x 9V battery there); its only a 120 back (vs 220) and I have to choose: e.g. color or b/w before the dive :smile:, but 4 shots is sometimes better than two (I can do 2 shots of 5x7/dive and of course can load different emulsions).